Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dogs getting Lyme Disease
I am amazed that I missed this post of yours before, Catherine.
It's quite important to be Lyme aware, concerning our dogs. Lyme disease has as many devastating effects on them as it does on humans. And is equally tricky to treat (though not impossible!)
It also occurs in Britain, and not as a rare thing.

One secret when it comes to Ticks is to remove them as quickly as possible, and even if they are noticed only after they have attached and are feeding, there is a window of about 24 hours, where if the Tick is removed, it is very unlikely to transmit disease.
Also, many many Ticks do not carry Lyme, but it's better to be on the safe side.

Removal is quite easy but has to be done properly. With tweezers (those pointed ones are best) grasp the Tick firmly not over its body, but at its neck, where it is attached to the skin. Then pull gently and firmly, making sure the head comes out too. Don't try to smother it, squeeze it, or burn it off.

Over the years I must have removed umpteen Ticks from Misty. She hated the word "Tick"....lol! She also hated these phrases: "Let me have a look at it".....and "I'll get it off you."
She never contracted Lyme disease. Although some have in my area.

Messages In This Thread
Dogs getting Lyme Disease - by Catherine - 05-08-2014, 03:17 PM
RE: Dogs getting Lyme Disease - by Tobi - 07-06-2014, 08:13 AM
RE: Dogs getting Lyme Disease - by Catherine - 07-06-2014, 04:40 PM
RE: Dogs getting Lyme Disease - by LPC - 07-09-2014, 06:15 AM
RE: Dogs getting Lyme Disease - by Catherine - 07-09-2014, 02:15 PM