Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Eggs are Hatching! Pictures!
It certainly is snake central. I think another batch will hatch this weekend.
Mike's babies hatched and there are 18 of them. I will up load pictures tomorrow. They are bigger and more active, but still very tiny.

Adult corn snakes grow from 3-5ft long. They never get thicker than your finger. They will grow 6inches in the first year, maybe more, but they will stay thin.

They also change colour. Babies hatch out very dark. Sometimes it is impossible to know what colour a snake will be when it matures. That is the excitement. There can be surprizes as a snake grows. The colour yellow is the last to develop so as babies grow and get lighter, they also develop differing amounts of yellow.

[Image: IMG_9585.JPG]
These are newly hatched Pine Snakes. They hatched a few months ago. They are bigger at birth than a yearling corn snake, but they still act like babies.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Do Pine snakes change colour as they mature?

I found that when I was around snakes, I sensed a very peaceful atmosphere....a bit difficult to describe, but totally pleasant. Restful but aware is the best way I can describe it... a unique experience, compared to being with another animal.
Quote:Do Pine snakes change colour as they mature?

I found that when I was around snakes, I sensed a very peaceful atmosphere....a bit difficult to describe, but totally pleasant. Restful but aware is the best way I can describe it... a unique experience, compared to being with another animal.

Pine snake colours do deepen a little, but I have no idea what to expect from these ones. Daniel is the wild colour and has a pink under colour with brown and black over it. Rosie lacks the dark pigments so he is pink, a very pretty shade of pink. The babies have the pink under colour with brown over it, but they seem to lack black. I checked old pictures and Daniel had black pigment from birth. So these babies are different and I do not know how much their colour will come in.

Snakes are peaceful. They are quiet and they only eat when they are hungry. They spend much of their time sleeping in the sun or sleeping in a den. If two make snakes are "fighting" no one gets hurt. They push each other a little and one will leave. They are gentle with each other when they breed. I know there are some more aggressive species, but most are pretty nice. (Not counting King Snakes, they are a bit wacky and have been known to bite themselves).
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine