Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TikTok's link to animal cruelty
TikTok  is a social media platform that encourages people to post interesting videos of things. In particular people post pictures of their pets. 
Most pets don't do anything exciting enough to get a lot of response when they appear in a video. So people find ways to make them appear exciting or at least interesting.   The latest is the #PutItInaBunChallenge. 
It involves putting the dog's ears in a bun by tying them above their head. It is not comfortable and can even do harm, but it does get a response on TikTok.

https://torontoobserver.ca/2019/12/11/ti...titinabun/

I am against anything that treats a pet as a toy, an object or something to be used and not respected. Social Media sites like TikTok encourage people to do things to their pets just by the way they are set up. They either need to ban videos that harm animals or they need to change their system so people don't get media attention for harming animals. People are doing it for the attention. They get a sense of gratification from their audience. If TikTok would prevent that it would stop a lot of low level animal cruelty. I think they have a responsibility to stop the cruelty. Either that or we as animal lovers have an obligation to boycott them.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

I have never looked at TikTok. I avoid all those moronic video sites where bored or fame-seeking people post films. In some cases, where an animal is filmed naturally doing something clever or funny, it can be justified, but when animals are used as tools for entertainment (such as tying their ears together), then it crosses the line for me.
Quote:I have never looked at TikTok. I avoid all those moronic video sites where bored or fame-seeking people post films. In some cases, where an animal is filmed naturally doing something clever or funny, it can be justified, but when animals are used as tools for entertainment (such as tying their ears together), then it crosses the line for me.
I don't go near them either. People are doing all kinds of crazy things to get attention on TikTok and sites like it. Sadly when it involves their animals it ends up being exploitive and often cruel.

I guess normal pet behavior just doesn't get enough followers or likes or however they measure their "fame".
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine