Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Animals understand numbers
We think of ourselves as the math wizzes of the planet, but studies are concluding that animals grasp numbers and use them.
The article is complicated, but it is also interesting. Different species at different times actually assess numbers and react to them.  They can see how many predators vs prey there are assess whether it is wise to attack. Prey animals can assess whether it is dangerous.
I am not even going to try and explain the cow bird strategy. You need to read that yourself. They are amazing. 

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20200...nd-numbers

Using numbers seems to come naturally to the animals that were observed. Humans take classes. Animals  just use numbers when they need to.
It is interesting that using numbers is built into survival of a great many species. I hope they continue to study this.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

I will have a close look at this later. I might link to it from my website as further evidence of animal intelligence.
I think we underestimate animals I'm not surprised.
Quote:I will have a close look at this later. I might link to it from my website as further evidence of animal intelligence.
It is a well done article and it took me a while to read it and think about it.
As Catslave says, we underestimate animals. 
When they are actually observing animals to see how they work with numbers they learned a lot.
For a bird to be aware of how many eggs are in a nest and know when to add another egg is  pretty clever. The bird has to be aware of so many things.
I think the more we study animal intelligence the more surprised we will be.
Catherine

I believe we may don't know about their abilities lots other things.
Animals know much more than we realize. We are only just discovering this.
Catherine