Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The BIG BOX of HAY!
I get a really good hay form a local farm that specializes in hay for small animals like guinea pigs. Usually I bring home a bag of hay, but the store has started to carry a larger size. They can now get a BIG BOX of HAY. It is four times the size and less than twice the price of the smaller bag. So we are feasting in hay.

So I wondered how the piggies would respond.
When confronted with the BIG BOX of HAY, Flora stayed at the back of her enclosure and wouldn't move,
[Image: IMG_0239.JPG]
Even after I gave her some hay, she wouldn't touch it until I moved the box.
[Image: IMG_0241.JPG]

So I showed the box to the boys.
As you can see when confronted by the BIG BOX of HAY, Lambert and Rosebert were very interested. They know what is in the box. The other boys were a little shy.
[Image: IMG_0242.JPG]
Lambert just kept gazing at the box.
[Image: IMG_0243.JPG]
Even after I gave them hay, Lambert could not take his eyes of the BIG BOX of HAY.
[Image: IMG_0244.JPG]
He still looks at it. He knows that it is full of hay. It is his every dream come true. I wonder if he dreams about it. He certainly watches it.Smiley4
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Hahaha!Smiley4
She looks completely taken aback by this BIG box of HAY!!

They all do. That is so funny...
I am pretty impressed by the BIG BOX of HAY myself! It is a big supply for a not so big price and it is from a good source. It is an organic farm that produces hay for small animals, so I know it is safe.

They are still in awe of having such a bottomless hay supply.23 Every time I reach into the box I bring out a nice big handful of hay.Smiley58 For a guinea pig it really is a dream come true.97356787SmileThumbsupsmileyanim
Catherine

My guinea pigs love cardboard boxes no matter how big or what's in it, a bonus if it's hay though. If they can get their teeth into it isn't safe!

Enjoy your BIG BOX OF HAY Piggies xx
I live in another country, but if you lived close I would gladly have given you some organic hay for nothing! I never ever spray the field or add fertiliser; the sheep do that!
It's great that you have a good organic supplier you can trust. Lucky piggies! I can smell the HAY in my imagination right now....such a good sweet smell.
I never thought about the piggies wanting the box itself. When it is empty or down to the last handful I should let them have a party with it. In the mean time they know that there is a lot of hay in the house and they are loving it.

Thank-you LPC. The thought is taken for the deed. I will think of the wonderful hay you would give me if you could.Heart

You are right Tobi, it is a great relief to have a supplier who provides a safe hay supply. People wonder why I don't get some regular farm hay, but there is no guarantee it would be right for guinea pigs. I don't think any one delivers just one bale to a down town address.

As an added bonus, they have an organic apple orchard and they provide a few apple branches in each bag/box, cut to the size that guinea pigs and rabbits can handle. I almost got to meet the hay suppliers when they were coming in for an event at the local pet food store, but the weather was bad and they would not risk leaving their animals in a storm. I did make it to the event and I won a big dog hamper. It was actually a big hamper of stuff for a big dog. I shared out the stuff amongst my dog owning friends. That is twice that I have won the dog prize. Smiley4
Catherine

Oh wow! Great to win a prize....but a dog prize HuhSmiley4

I think they will have great fun with the box when it's empty. It's only adult humans who seem to have forgotten the endless fun one can have with a cardboard box!
Misty used to like her big box which arrived in the post with her dog food I ordered online. She had fun opening the box, with the contents, and with the box itself, until it was trampled and wrecked. That was at least a half hour of enjoyment provided. Smiley34

Isn't that kind of the hay suppliers, to include bits of organic apple for the piggies? It's so thoughtful of them.
I always win the dog prize.Smiley4
I did win a tiger's head cookie jar once. It was the ugliest thing I have ever seen. It took years to break it.Smiley4

You are right, boxes are fun. I am having fun with this box. Just the idea of buying a BIG BOX of HAY has been fun for me. I have always liked boxes.
My first years in Toronto my furniture was mostly cardboard boxes. Turned on their side and stacked right, they make good bookcases and dressers. You can eat off of them like a table. I even used a remnant of material as a table cloth. And they were free! That was the best part.
Then I upgraded to milk crates. Not as fun, but more sturdy.
Those were fun years. I might play with the box when it is done or maybe the piggies and I will play with it together.

Yes, the hay suppliers are wonderful people. They cater to the small animal market so they try to think of things that will help us. That must be why they have decided to go bigger. One of the large bags of hay seemed to last such a short time with my hungry herd.
Catherine

That Big Box of Hay looks ideal. We buy bags of Devon Meadow hay which is great, but a bag barely lasts a week and a big box would be fantastic.
I think you should have a piggy party in the nearly empty box and take lots of photos!! Then we can all "join in".
Greeting from Wales.
Hwyl Fawr o'r Cymru.
This is the web site of the rescue I volunteer at.
http://guinearescue.blogspot.co.uk/