Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A bit of an explosion with baby snails
This is what happens when you don't check every week for eggs, you get an awful lot of baby snails hatch out. Although I did quick cleans of the tanks the last couple of weeks, I didn't actually have time to empty them out totally. I did a thorough clean yesterday and when I looked underneath the food dish, there were lots of baby snails on it. And, I found more eggs which I promptly froze.

Lesson learnt here, no matter what must always check the tanks every week without fail. My husband thought it was quite amusing Smiley4
Good job I ordered a couple new bigger tanks isn't it?
Oh wow! You are going to have to get a big tank!

It's a pity there isn't 'spay and neuter' with snails! LOL Smiley4
Quote:This is what happens when you don't check every week for eggs, you get an awful lot of baby snails hatch out. Although I did quick cleans of the tanks the last couple of weeks, I didn't actually have time to empty them out totally. I did a thorough clean yesterday and when I looked underneath the food dish, there were lots of baby snails on it. And, I found more eggs which I promptly froze.

Opps! How many snails do you have now? Or is it an uncountable number.
So snails are smart enough to hide their eggs. I am sure lots of people would want some. And as you say, good thing you have new tanks coming.
I am glad your husband thinks it is funny. Will he still laugh when you are knee deep in giant snails.Smiley4

Quote:It's a pity there isn't 'spay and neuter' with snails! LOL

They should open a tiny spay/ neuter clinic for snails.Smiley4
I am sure there is a need, sort of.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

[quote='Catherine' pid='2750' dateline='1400466158']
[quote]This is what happens when you don't check every week for eggs, you get an awful lot of baby snails hatch out. Although I did quick cleans of the tanks the last couple of weeks, I didn't actually have time to empty them out totally. I did a thorough clean yesterday and when I looked underneath the food dish, there were lots of baby snails on it. And, I found more eggs which I promptly froze.[/quote]

Opps! How many snails do you have now? Or is it an uncountable number.
So snails are smart enough to hide their eggs. I am sure lots of people would want some. And as you say, good thing you have new tanks coming.
I am glad your husband thinks it is funny. Will he still laugh when you are knee deep in giant snails.Smiley4

Well, there is the 4 adult snails that we started out with, there are 10 baby snails which we hatched out, so that's 14 for a start. I have tried to count the latest hatchlings and there is over 60 in there Confused

The new tanks came today but I haven't had much chance to move them in. I will do that tomorrow Smiley4
Sixty!!!!Smiley4
[Image: smiley-happy002.gif][Image: smiley-happy039.gif]
I was joking about the uncountable number. You will need a bigger tank(s). Can you find people who want some snails? Maybe your local pet store would want some. Check out local reptile people. People who like reptiles usually like snails. If you advertised them, I bet people would be interested.

The Forum threads about snails are among the most read. It seems that everyone is interested in them.
Catherine

(05-20-2014, 02:31 PM)Catherine Wrote: Sixty!!!!Smiley4
[Image: smiley-happy002.gif][Image: smiley-happy039.gif]
I was joking about the uncountable number. You will need a bigger tank(s). Can you find people who want some snails? Maybe your local pet store would want some. Check out local reptile people. People who like reptiles usually like snails. If you advertised them, I bet people would be interested.

The Forum threads about snails are among the most read. It seems that everyone is interested in them.

They are all in their new tank along with the 10 older babies and all are doing well.

Now, the Albinos have laid their first load of eggs this morning and they are still laying as I type. Smiley4
Quote:Now, the Albinos have laid their first load of eggs this morning and they are still laying as I type. Smiley4

I am sure the albinos are as fertile as the other ones, so you could end up swimming in snails.
I guess you will have to watch for eggs and limit the breeding a little. You do have a while before the babies can produce eggs. It is kind of nice to have something that breeds so easily though. I guess the survival rate is pretty high as well. That would be a plus and a minus.

Good thing it is spring and veggies will start being more plentiful. How many cucumbers can your brood eat?
Catherine