Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chameleon seen for first time in 100 years.
Voeltzkow-Chameleons have been spotted for the first time in 100 years. They live in Madagascar and are very elusive. Very elusive! It has been 100 years since they were last seen. 

https://www.ctvnews.ca/sci-tech/scientis...-1.5168479

There were never many of them and there are not many of them now, but it is good to know they are still alive. At a time when biodiversity is being lost it is a hopeful sign to find another species that is still with us. Maybe there is hope for other lost species.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

(10-31-2020, 03:01 PM)Catherine Wrote: Voeltzkow-Chameleons have been spotted for the first time in 100 years. The live in Madagascar and are very elusive. Very elusive! It has been 100 years since they were last seen. 

https://www.ctvnews.ca/sci-tech/scientis...-1.5168479

There were never many of them and there are not many of them now, but it is good to know they are still alive. At a time when biodiversity is being lost it is a hopeful sign to find another species that is still with us. Maybe there is hope for other lost species.

I think we are in one of the biggest mass extinction events of all time right now... It is shocking an animal could hide for 100 years with so many people around.  I remember this summer they "re-found" the elephant shrew in Somalia too.  Do you think these near-extinct animals have a chance if you fast forward like 1,000 years?  I am worried about humans' effect on conservation.  We are monsters...
We are definitely in a mass extinction event. We are having a climate change crisis as well.
Even so, I still believe we will come through this. Not all of us will survive. Some species have been lost and others will be lost. 

Finding something that was thought to be lost should inspire us to work harder at conservation efforts. There are many remote areas. There are probably species we have not discovered yet. Biodiversity is in trouble, but there is still a lot to work with.

It is too hard to predict 1000 years. There are too many variables. We don't fully understand the geology of this planet or the magnetic fields. There could be external cosmic events that effect us. A thousand years is a long time.

We can focus on the next 100 years and actually do something.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine