Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Yes, I got the water dragon
Once I decided that I needed the water dragon and she needed me, it was inevitable. And why not, I have the tank and I have wanted a water dragon for years.
I was all set to get a water dragon when Barrie came into my life. Now that Barrie is gone I am sure he wouldn't mind me finally having a water dragon.

She is young.
[Image: 126960397_3026304447470665_6411100484775...e=5FDF55A8]
She is so pretty.
Now I need a good name for her.
Wait until I get a picture of her face. She is so very pretty.

I like the way she is making herself at home right away in her new tank.  She is sitting right where I expected her to sit.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Awwww Congratulations! Also keep an eye out with that glass tank. They can't see glass and will slam into it at top speed. Broken jaws or smushed noses are common. Saphira had that as well which just added to the complications. I was told to use a net or cover it from the outside so they can see it. Aww I can't wait to see all the pictures!!!
She is pretty and I need to get better pictures so you can see her. much of the glass doesn't look clear because there is a tank beside it or there is something up against it. I don't think there is an open stretch where she can run at the glass.

Now I have to get her to have good eating habits and figure out if she is comfortable.  I can make it warmer, but I don't think she wants that. The water dish is big enough for now, but I will need to make it bigger later. She likes the logs I have given her. I have never had a water dragon so it is a whole new experience.
Catherine

She was chasing crickets when I did a lizard feed this morning. So now I know she is eating. You know how you worry until you actually see them eat.  
Now I will need to name my little emerald princess.
Catherine

YAY! Yes I know what you mean it's always nerve racking until they start eating. It's the first hurdle. Are you able to hold her at all yet. They don't like to be held so I always just let Saphira scurry up my shoulder and she was just chill there. I had to let her make the decision but she was highly food motivated and would do anything for a roach or mealworm. I would of like to target train her had she lived. She knew what the yellow tongs meant so it wouldn't of taken much.

For names I'll suggest: Emerald Princess> Emerald> Gem> Mercury

I looked up emerald meaning and started picking out cool facts. I let each search take me to the next. This is kinda how I come up with names even when I'm picking characters I still search similarly.

1. Emerald History-The name emerald comes from the Sanskrit word “marakata," which means spring green. ... Ancient Egyptians believed the green color of emerald represented fertility and rebirth.
2. Are emeralds good luck?- For over 4000 years, the emerald stone has enamored the cultures and civilizations. Most importantly, emerald can bring you immense luck and fortunes, even when you lose hope. ... It is closely associated with the planet of Mercury
3. Zodiac sign- Since Mercury travels close to the Sun, it will be either in the same sign or in the one before or after on the Zodiac. Mercury is the messenger, and in myth, associated with the power of words as spellcasters. ... Mercury rules the signs of the intellect Gemini and Virgo
4. Mercury is a chemical element with the symbol Hg and atomic number 80. It is commonly known as quicksilver and was formerly named hydrargyrum (/haɪˈdrɑːrdʒərəm/ hy-DRAR-jər-əm).[4] A heavy, silvery d-block element, mercury is the only metallic element that is liquid at standard conditions for temperature and pressure; the only other element that is liquid under these conditions is the halogen bromine, though metals such as caesium, gallium, and rubidium melt just above room temperature.
That is a lot to take in. I love the way your research works. You follow the word and see where it takes you. That is one of the things I love about the internet. 
You can start with a word and  it will take you round the globe, back through history and then  back to science and the present.

Naming takes time. I am getting to know her and I want a name that works for her.
She is good about being held. She is quite young and clearly hand raised.  The reptile center gets its reptiles from local breeders and from a guy who gets reptiles from local breeders on a province wide level and redistributes them.  My little girl is very tame. I haven't held her much because I wanted her to have time to settle in and feel secure. She is making use of her whole tank. I always consider that a good sign.  Every part of the tank is interesting to her. I know she uses her water dish for swimming because  I have to change the water regularly.

I hadn't planned to get a baby water dragon. I was going to rehome an older one. Once I became part of her life, I wanted this water dragon.
I don't think she associates me with food yet. That will take time. She is comfortable around me and that is important.  I took on a baby Sudan Plated Lizard          6 months ago and there is no sign of him getting used to me or taming in any way. I should do a lizard post to catch you up on what I have now.
It took forever to name him and the baby beardie. I will get pictures and introduce them all. Their tanks are side by side so it is my lizard corner.
Catherine