Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Coyote killing contest in Ontario
There is an Outdoor Store in Belleville Ontario that is holding a coyote killing contest. They have categories like largest animal and smallest animal. The smallest coyote would of course be one that was born last spring, a baby. They claim they are protecting the deer and having fun while doing it. The coyotes don't really eat deer.  It is not good to promote killing as fun. This contest endangers the Algonquin wolves who live in the area. Many of the hunters would not be able to tell the difference and wolves will be killed by mistake.
This contest is of questionable legality.  Wildlife groups are fighting it as illegal. The Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry is not responding, but they have given the store advice on running the contest. 

https://globalnews.ca/news/7637660/wildl...elleville/

So this answers the question, does Canada have wildlife killing contests. I seems that we do. The whole concept of a contest to kill animals, one that is like a game, is repulsive. Who would want a prize for killing a baby coyote? I hope they are able to stop this contest or at least prevent it from happening again.
I find it disturbing to know that there are people in my country who would want to take part in an animal killing contest. We still have a lot of work to do to make humans a better species.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

(02-13-2021, 04:24 PM)Catherine Wrote: The whole concept of a contest to kill animals, one that is like a game, is repulsive. Who would want a prize for killing a baby coyote? I hope they are able to stop this contest or at least prevent it from happening again.
I find it disturbing to know that there are people in my country who would want to take part in an animal killing contest. We still have a lot of work to do to make humans a better species.

I agree 100%. Repulsive is the right word.
I think I would get up and move away from anyone who said they were involved in an animal killing contest.
I feel like I wouldn't even want to breath the same air as them. (even wearing a mask and social distancing which I always do right now)
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine