Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bonobos adopt unrelated orphaned Bonobos
Some animals will adopt other animals. Primates have been observed to adopt younger relatives or even younger members of their own troop.
Two female Bonobos who are being observed have adopted unrelated female offspring from outside of their troop. One female already had two young and she adopted a third, an outsider and even nursed her. The other female is in her 50s and she has adopted an outsider baby girl and is caring for her.
Since this is uncommon, it is not fully understood why  this has happened. Scientists will continue to observe the Bonobos and see how the adoptions work out.

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/bono...side-group

I can understand the  female with two taking on a third baby. What's one more. I am wondering if this has just never been observed before, but has happened before. Just because we haven't seen it doesn't mean it doesn't happen. It might be uncommon because most orphans are adopted with in their own group.
The 50 year old Bonobo would be past having more offspring. Maybe when a chance to take on a baby occurred,  maternal instinct kicked in.  There is no doubt that  some females in any species have strong maternal instincts.

I hope they keep studying this. I wonder how long they will keep caring for the adopted ones. 
Bonobos are closely related to humans and we adopt unrelated young. In many cases the bonds last for life.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine