Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
There are horses abandoned by man in an African desert.
Quote:All I can say is I wouldn't want to be a horse in that desert. I would always want clean fresh cool water and green lush grass and clover with plenty of shade trees and maybe some rolling hills. You might not like the notion that the animals should be put down by man to rid them of that rough lifestyle though that might be the least expensive option for them to escape such a hard life. When your horse breaks a leg in the wilds, you humanely dispatch it with your gun. 

You are judging the horses by what you would want. These horses have lived in Namibia successfully for over 100 years. They seem comfortable with their lives.
They have their own social groups and they have done very well. They are having problems now because of a period of drought. They did lose foals for a number of years. That will effect their numbers in years to come. So they could use a little help.

It has never been established that they were abandoned. They escaped for various reasons and chose to go wild. If they did not want to be wild in Namibia, there are humans living there. They could have approached humans for help. I think some breeds of horses are able to go feral and thrive. There are numerous populations of horses around the world that have gone feral.

I don't think anyone has a right to go in and kill off a population of animals because one has decided that the animals shouldn't live in an area. Euthanizing an individual  injured animal that is suffering is an act of kindness and mercy. Killing off a population of wild horses because one has decided that  their lives are too hard is an act of arrogance.  It means that someone thinks they know what is best for the horses.

The horses don't need to be rescued, but they may need some help. They will survive without it. The rains have returned and things will be better. 

These are desert adapted horses and they probably wouldn't do well in the environment you would give them. 
If you wanted to help them The Namibian Wild Horses Foundation accepts donations. These people are aware of what the horses really need.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Messages In This Thread
RE: There are horses abandoned by man in an African desert. - by Catherine - 04-11-2021, 03:00 PM