Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Radioactive Snakes
I am hoping people make the connection between Chernobyl's radioactive wolves and Fukushima's radioactive snakes. The snakes live in the area that is the most radioactive. Scientists captured them and fitted them with dosimeters  and GPS tracking devices. The snakes are there. They are crawling through soil and vegetation. They are helping scientists study the radiation levels in the area. The levels are lower than they were at the time of the accident, but still dangerously high.
What isn't clear yet is how the radiation is effecting the snakes. 

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/s...r-disaster

This is a first, people are using snakes to help them with their research. The snakes are already there and have been there all along. They stay in the area, but still cover a bit of territory. They are ideal for the job. How they got tracking devices and dosimeters to "stick" is remarkable. I am not sure the snakes won't lose everything next time they shed. 

Some of the snakes pictures are a good size so they have been around for years. Some might even predate the disaster. They seem to be surviving very well. They look healthy. Some were probably hatched after the disaster. They all look healthy.  Maybe it is like the Chernobyl wolves. Maybe the snakes are thriving. 
It has been 10 years. It is certainly worth studying longer. I hope they do a documentary  about the snakes.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Having different physiology, I would hope that the snakes will not be affected by the radiation levels. If they can help people analyse these levels, then that is a plus.
I don't think they know how the radiation will effect the snakes. This is a rare opportunity for research. It will benefit humans and it will further understanding of reptile physiology.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine