Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to find a dog trainer
It seems to be a dog trainer here in the US, so it makes sense it would be restricted. I didn't realize it was a trainer, but it is good information. This quote kept bouncing around in my head as I was talking to a friend, "The only thing two dog trainers can agree on is that the third trainer is wrong!" I googled and found that article. I shared it with my friend and had to share it here too. I like how he brings up the dog trainer toolbox too.

What brought this up. I had a friend who was upset about a new GPS invisible fence by a company called Halo. This friend has no experience with that type of training, while I have trained 6 dogs since 2007 on my mom's Invisible fence. I'm no expert, but I know what the shock feels like and the ins and outs, so I explained and researched the Halo GPS collar as well to give some insight. I also have experience with clients' different brands.

I explained there is a 6-week training period where the dog learns what it all means. There's a warning beep that gives the dog time to back up. The dog rarely gets shocked once they learn the barrier. Dogs might get a correction once every few months or once a year. The Halo seems to have different level settings including a vibration-only setting. Other systems have caps you can use on the prongs, so it's just a vibration rather than a shock. My friend's main concern with Halo was that it is moveable and feared the dog wouldn't learn the ever-changing locations and barriers. Once the dog learns the system, all the owner would have to do is walk the perimeter in the new place before letting the dog loose. This shows the dog where the collar beeps. It opened up her eyes that even though it may not work for her dog, it could work for other dogs. That being said, with any tool, there is a right and a wrong way to use it. If misused or trained improperly, it could cause harm. Not every tool is for every dog either!

Messages In This Thread
How to find a dog trainer - by Libby - 12-03-2021, 10:04 AM
RE: How to find a dog trainer - by LPC - 12-03-2021, 11:00 PM
RE: How to find a dog trainer - by Libby - 12-04-2021, 11:44 AM
RE: How to find a dog trainer - by Catherine - 12-04-2021, 04:45 PM
RE: How to find a dog trainer - by LPC - 12-04-2021, 09:28 PM
RE: How to find a dog trainer - by Libby - 12-05-2021, 07:05 AM
RE: How to find a dog trainer - by Catherine - 12-05-2021, 05:11 PM
RE: How to find a dog trainer - by LPC - 12-05-2021, 11:04 PM
RE: How to find a dog trainer - by Catherine - 12-06-2021, 05:53 PM