Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Catherine's dream campsite
I came across an article about a campsite in western Australia. I could stay there forever. It is a bit of an animal lovers site. It has sheep and chickens. It has Alpacas.
It has hundreds of guinea pigs. 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/artic...-pigs.html

It is my idea of a fun place to camp. Can you imaging walking through a herd of guinea pigs. It would be so funny. The scenery is beautiful and it is real outdoor camping. If only it was closer to home.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Sounds like a real experience! I hope they have good fox defences.
There are no foxes in Australia are there? What would they have there? They must have it set up to be safe.
Here we would have to look out for hawks and coyotes. Maybe they are in a safe area of Australia.
Catherine

Sadly, foxes were introduced into Australia by humans. See:

https://petkeen.com/fox-populations-australia

I actually have a soft spot for foxes and hate fox hunting for its cruelty. However, as you will see from the article, they pose a problem for native species. T-N-R would be the humane solution, but not easy to do with quite large numbers.
I didn't realize foxes had been introduced to Australia. That is bad in so many ways. They have no natural predators and they have no natural prey. They totally don't belong.  Worse, they were brought in for hunting purposes. Once again humans have messed things up.

TNR is the humane solution, but as you say with such large numbers it would be very difficult. Australia has a number of invasive species. I can't imagine how they are going to fix this.

As for the campsite, they must have some way of keeping the guinea pigs safe. Maybe the whole site is fenced somehow.

I love the little foxes. We have them right in the city in wooded areas along the rivers and in our many wild ravines. I saw a mom and baby just standing there watching me walk along a walkway near the river. The baby was exactly like her, but smaller. They even stood exactly the same. I don't see them often, but I know they are there.
Catherine