Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dolly Parton bids to adopt abandoned Festival dog
Well, it's not so much the dog who is famous -as the person who has made a bid to adopt her!

The white Lurcher was abandoned at Glastonbury Festival, and discovered cowering in a tent by people who are cleaning up the site. The dog's caretaker hasn't been located -and it is terrible, but it's possible the dog was simply left behind!

So Dolly Parton has said she would like to adopt the dog, if no-one claims her in a reasonable amount of time. The dog has now been named 'Dolly' after the star.

http://www.talktalk.co.uk/news/showbiz/a...og/135915/

This is great, as it gives a lot of publicity to the animal rescue "Happy Landings" in Pylle, Somerset, as it is the nearest animal rescue. This is where Dolly the dog was taken to be cared for in the meantime. It is quite near where I live.

Dolly's story at Happy Landings:

http://www.happy-landings.org.uk/
Good for Dolly Parton that she has offered to take the abandoned dog.

The shelter could use the publicity and it might encourage other people to adopt dogs.
I think a lot of the stars rescue dogs and help with animal rescue projects.
It is good to hear a happy ending now and then.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Yes it is a happy "almost-ending" so far. I am sure Dolly will be well looked after.

But behind all that good stuff, remains the sad fact that someone who attended the Festival just left their dog behind. Hundreds of tents, sleeping-bags, and other sound and useful equipment were simply abandoned when people left the site (a terrific waste of resources!)
But that anyone could just treat a dog the same way?!!
It was obviously "Dolly's tent" as there was a food bowl there., so she wasn't a stray who had wandered on-site after people left.

And I checked the UK DogLost website, but she is not listed as 'lost.'

But it's good that she is being cared for now.
If the former (non)caretaker has abandoned Dolly, then the poor dog is probably better off with someone who will love and cherish her. In a way, it reminded me of your story, Tobi. I know that Misty wasn't abandoned like Dolly, but in each case the result is so much better than each dog had before.

As for Dolly Parton: I always had a soft spot for her, and I believe that she is doing this out of genuine concern, not publicity. A compassionate woman.
Yes, I always had a soft spot for Dolly Parton too. And she knows about how to be very 'down to earth' as in her early years she lived on a farm in Tennessee. (think it was Tennessee)
I have no doubt Dolly the dog will have a very happy last few years as Dolly the singer's companion!
Why would you take your dog to an event like that in the first place?
I agree, someone left the dog behind. So out there someone knows people are talking about their dog. The dog is much better off no matter who adopts her. I am sure Dolly Parton would give her a wonderful home. She is known to care about animals.
If the dog stays in the UK I am sure a wonderful home will be found.

I hope all the people who want this dog, but can't have her will go on to adopt other needy dogs. There is no shortage of needy dogs.
Catherine

A quick update.
Dolly Parton has lost this one. Apparently, the dog's caretaker turned up eventually at the Happy Landings shelter. They wanted their dog, and were so upset about what had happened.

Well, it's hard to judge them, as the Glastonbury Festival is a complete scramble for life-and-limb! Anything can happen there -and often does. Sure, the Festival is not an ideal place for a dog. However it's better than being left alone while humans party. Anyway, it seems "Dolly" is going back to her former caretakers after a long interview with the shelter's staff.
I am glad the owner turned up. I suppose in a big crowd it would be easy to lose your dog. The person may have been looking, but in the wrong place. The dog will be glad to go back home to the familiar.

I am sure Dolly Parton will go on to adopt other dogs.
Catherine

Thanks for the update, Tobi. I'm glad that the shelter gave the owners a "long interview". I assume that they released the dog because the excuses given were satisfactory - although surely all the "caretaker" had to do was ask the police, who register every lost dog prior to admission to a shelter. It is a pity that the dog was not microchipped; this would have enabled immediate recognition. I do so hope that the dog will be well looked after in future.
Yes they are good at that animal shelter. They are very thorough. So whatever the caretakers did/said must have been satisfactory.