Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Annie's adventures (introducing Sadie)
I still haven't uploaded the pictures yet!!

The bonding pen is a very large cage base. I've never seen a cage as big, it must be 6ft by 3ft. Suzy puts out lots of hay and a big bowl of food. She also puts in the wire top of a much smaller cage so the bonding pen is divided but they still have access to each other.
To start with she tried Ally and all went well with the divide. If there is no interest, or worse, aggression, then there is little point in progressing, but Ally and Annie were very interested in each other. After a couple of hours it was obvious that they wanted to get closer so the divide was removed and all seemed OK. The girls spent a supervised night together but by morning Ally decided she didn't really like Annie and bit her on her ear. Poor Annie has never encountered a piggy that would bite her and was very upset. so Suzy removed Ally and gave Annie some quiet time to compose herself.
She then started again with Sadie. This went much more smoothly after the removal of the divide and although they are not "In each others pockets" they are clearly happier with the other one there.
Sadie is very dominant and although there has been the occasional "Bop", Annie is not upset by it like she was with Ally.
The girls spent a supervised night together and we took them home the next afternoon.
We are having joint lap time as we don't want to separate them and Sadie doesn't seem to mind that the veggies are all cut up rather than big chunks. They are sharing nicely and it's looking good so far.

With bonding for others Suzy likes to keep the piggies for at least 2 night together before she is happy to send them home, but she knows us so well and that if there are issues she is not far away (about 15 mins in the car) and she knows I'll call if necessary so she was happy for us to take them home after only 1 night together.
I'm feeling very optimistic about this. Sadie is beginning to warm up to us and will take veggies from our hands now. I'm sure seeing that Annie trusts us has helped.
Greeting from Wales.
Hwyl Fawr o'r Cymru.
This is the web site of the rescue I volunteer at.
http://guinearescue.blogspot.co.uk/

Messages In This Thread
RE: Annie's adventures (introducing Sadie) - by Cibach - 07-24-2014, 06:22 PM