Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dog saved from euthanasia inspires end of life care program.
Opie was turned into a shelter in Texas because at 9 years old her people considered her too old. Austin Pets Alive came to her rescue.
They rescued her and a number of other pets at risk of euthanasia. Opie is a wonderful dog, but she was found to have terminal cancer. 
Her foster home loved her dearly, but lacked the resources to deal with a dying pet. So they created a "fospice" program to provide help for dying animals in foster care. Animals deserve to be loved and cared for in the last days of their lives. 
Opie was expected to last a couple of months, but she lived 8 more months. Those last 8 months of life were full of love and comfort and good experiences.

https://www.newsweek.com/how-dog-saved-e...ts-1856846

This is beautiful. Opie's people abandoned her at a shelter and they missed the best months of her life. Whatever else had happened in Opie's life, her last months were special. I think it matters. I have taken in old hamsters and old guinea pigs. We don't have a long time together, but we have a good time.
I have brought home pets that were actually dying and spent the next few days letting them know they are cared for.

We could wish that all pets have long happy lives, but when that is not possible at least we can let them pass from life surrounded by love and comfort.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Excellent thread, Catherine. The abandonnement and subsequent loving foster care show the difference in human attitudes towards domestic animals. Euthanasia is needed, even desirable, when a companion animal is in severe pain with no prospect of recovery. But as you correctly point out, in the earlier stages of cancer and other serious medical conditions a beloved animal can live happily and will know that s/he is loved.

I agree. Sometimes animals are suffering and euthanasia is the only loving thing to do. I have held my own pets when they had to be euthanized. They knew they were loved. I have also held other people's pets when they couldn't be there. Again the pet knew they were loved and they were not alone.

Often animals will die naturally after a number of months. They are not suffering and they can really enjoy their last months. I have seen many animals die peacefully. I sit and hold them and they just quietly let go. They are not suffering and they are happy at home where they belong.
If a dying animal needs a home, I try to make my place feel like home for the time they have left. 

Sometimes animals surprise you. I brought home Pickle the Budgie because she had a stroke. I didn't think she would regain consciousness.
That was 4 years ago and she is doing very well and is a happy little bird.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine