Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Relative rehomes dog while owner on holiday
A woman left her dog with a relative for a week while she took a vacation. When she came home she found out the dog had been rehomed. 
He won't tell her where the dog is.  She is appealing to social media and her dog has been sighted.
She hasn't tracked him down, but she hasn't given up hope.

https://www.orilliamatters.com/local-new...nt=rundown

This is a pet owner's worst nightmare. You trust someone with your pet and they let you down. Rehoming the dog is pretty extreme. That didn't happen by accident. If the people who have the dog now really wanted a dog, the shelters are full of dogs that need homes. I doubt they knew what was really happening. I hope they see the media reports and come forward to return the dog. It is the right thing to do. They can give a home to a dog that really needs a home and Cola can go home where he belongs.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

I had to look up where Orillia is situated. Apparently it is in Canada - so presumably Canadian law applies in this case.

What the relative did is surely against Canadian law, Catherine? I would have thought that the police will interview the relative and will require him under caution to divulge where the dog has been sent.

Once again, this underlines the importance of having a dog microchipped, because the legal "owner's" name and address are recorded by the vet on a database. This, in combination with an animal passport certified by the same vet, provides legal proof of "ownership".

Orillia is just north of Toronto. A Facebook post is being circulated by people I know. It is also in the local news. 
The owner is now talking to the police. 

I don't know how the law deals with a case like this. If the dog had been at a boarding facility the owner would have a contract with the facility. They would be charged with something if they didn't return the dog. She left the dog with a relative. That is not as clear.

You are right about the microchip. If the dog was microchipped with her information, it would come back as soon as the dog saw a vet.
People think they have seen the dog and are sending pictures to the owner. I would think by now the people who have the dog must know there is a problem.
Orillia is not a large place. Surely they would want to return the dog. It is a children's pet.

I will keep checking the Facebook posts and I will let you know when I hear something.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine