Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Abandoned dog with 6 legs gets life changing surgery.
A spaniel puppy was born with 6 legs. At 11 weeks old she was abandoned. Greenacres Rescue took her in and helped her to become a healthy dog. 
Then they raised 15,000 pounds to pay for life changing surgery. Two of the legs were not functional and affected the function of the good leg on that side.  She only had one kidney. The surgery was complicated, but it went well and Ariel is making a full recovery.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-wales-68017390

That is an unusual deformity. I have never seen anything like it before. How sad that people just abandoned her. Ariel deserved better. Fortunately she got better. Good for all the people who helped pay for the surgery. Now all Ariel needs is a good forever home.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

I saw this on the BBC news site. The fact that she had several deformations suggests that she was part of an intensive breeding production, with considerable inbreeding - a puppy farm at its worst.

Once again, this story shows the good and the bad in humanity: the good being the compassion and determination of the animal rescue, the bad being the heartless person(s) who abandoned Ariel in the first place.

I am delighted to hear that the operation went well and it looks hopeful that she will find her "forever home".

You are right. Ariel's deformities are probably the results of serious inbreeding.
When people are trying to make money and produce as many puppies as possible, they do things like breeding brothers and sisters together.
We could hope that after Ariel was born they changed their ways, but I doubt it. They abandoned Ariel.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine