Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Prodigal Snake returns
Months ago a baby Southern Pine Snake got out and I was unable to find him. I didn't think it would end well.

Then six weeks ago he appeared in the apartment above me. They were so freaked out that they let him get away and there has been no sign of him anywhere. I thought he might have escaped the house. I did find the back door open one day. Maybe someone was hoping he would get out.

It is cold now so if he is out it isn't good. So late tonight my doorbell rang and the nice young couple next door had a picture on their cell phone they wanted me to see. MY BABY SNAKE! They found him in their basement. They calmly picked him up and put him in a container and took his picture and came to get me. You have to love these people. They saved the little snake's life. If they had put him outside he would die because it is so cold.

[Image: IMG_0747.JPG]
He is thin and much smaller than his siblings whom I have been feeding regularly. So I fed him right away and he was glad of a good meal.
I think he looks happy to be somewhere secure.

I can't believe I got him back after all these months.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Oh that is wonderful! The people were so good to let you know, and to help him. I am very glad to hear he is back home after all this time. I wonder what he managed to find to eat during those months?
My neighbours are very nice people and they have the cutest Jack Russell. We have shared gardening and traded plants. But when it comes to reptiles, you never know how will people will respond. They were really good to him. They set him up safely before they came to get me.

There are lots of wild mice in Toronto. Every house has some mice. So the baby snake was able to find food, but not as much as his siblings. They are bigger. I fed him right away and set him up in a secure container. He was thirsty so water must have been hard to find. He is now curled up in the house I gave him, sleeping peacefully. He is glad to be warm and safe.
I can't believe he is back!
Catherine

I am glad he's back and safe at home again.
He is really sleeping. He has awakened briefly for water and a brief look around and has gone back to sleep. Life on the outside must have been scary. He seems glad to catch up on sleep.

I still can't believe he is back! I keep looking to make sure he is really there. It has turned cold since his return so he is one lucky snake.

Would you believe he actually fits inside the house in the picture. He is curled up like a spring.
Catherine

What wonderful news. He must be so glad to be back home. If he's comfortable enough to sleep a lot he must realise that he is back in a safe environment. Full marks to the people that found him and kept him safe.
You must be very relieved, as well as delighted, Catherine.
Greeting from Wales.
Hwyl Fawr o'r Cymru.
This is the web site of the rescue I volunteer at.
http://guinearescue.blogspot.co.uk/
Knowing he was out there has been on my mind since he went missing. All summer I hoped he would come back, but when I found the back door open I figured he was out there somewhere.
The weather was dropping really cold that night and he is a Southern Pine Snake. He wouldn't know to burrow and hibernate. I figured that would be the end of it and then surprize my neighbors were at the door with a picture of him on their phone.

It is just so amazing to have him back.

Now I need to fatten him up and get him growing again.

And I can stop worrying.
Catherine