Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
This years last baby snakes
My last clutch of eggs just hatched. It was a small group, but the are pretty.
[Image: IMG_0773.JPG]

Yes they really are pink! All of them are pink. They have some white on them, but mostly they are sugar frosting pink. I think they may grow up to be pink. Dad is fairly pink.
[Image: IMG_9369.JPG]
Dad is the one not in the water dish. He was thought to be a she and there has been a bit of name confusion. The name Iceman seems to have stuck. He is a male, I couldn't call him Pink Frost or Cherry Parfait. Smiley4
The snake in the water dish turned out to be a male as well. So there have been some name issues there. Desert Lily just doesn't work for a nice looking male. I think Desert Sand might work. I need to start using gender neutral names.Smiley4
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Beautiful snakes. I do like to see them and hear about them, but am happy to do so at a distance!!
Greeting from Wales.
Hwyl Fawr o'r Cymru.
This is the web site of the rescue I volunteer at.
http://guinearescue.blogspot.co.uk/
Aren't they nice? I like snakes so long as I know they are not venomous! Well -to be fair I like the venomous ones....about 30ft away! LOL!
But snakes I have met have had a very peaceful atmosphere about them.
Gender-neutral names might be a good idea Catherine! haha (It must be hard to tell what sex a snake is....I can't imagine how it's done....)
Quote:Beautiful snakes. I do like to see them and hear about them, but am happy to do so at a distance!!
If you could touch their soft skin you would be beautifully surprized. These are gentle corn snakes and they did the street festival for two days and loved it.

Quote:Aren't they nice? I like snakes so long as I know they are not venomous! Well -to be fair I like the venomous ones....about 30ft away! LOL!
But snakes I have met have had a very peaceful atmosphere about them.
Gender-neutral names might be a good idea Catherine! haha (It must be hard to tell what sex a snake is....I can't imagine how it's done....)

I do like to see venomous snakes from a distance. We have so few in Canada that I never need to think about it. I only have domesticated snakes(as you can tell from the colours).

It is very hard to tell gender. The females have shorter tails. So if I have a whole clutch to choose from, I choose the one with the shortest tail and it should be a female. Both boys were adults and so it was not easy to tell.

I use the Sam method. Sam is my best breeding male. He may be small, but he knows what is what. No one has fathered as many babies as Sam. I put Sam in a container with the snake of unknown gender and Sam knows right away. Snakes don't fight aggressively so no one gets hurt. If Sam is interested, it's a girl. If Sam tries to push the other one down, its a boy.
When I wanted a snow corn female, I took Sam to the store to meet her and yes she was a girl all right. Sam very much approved. They are very happy together, along with Sam's other ladies. He lives with three girls. I told you he was my best male.
Catherine

What a lovely story about Sam! And how helpful he is.
Sam is my special boy. He likes me to hold him while he eats. He likes to take his time and have a choice and eat very gently. He is a well mannered gentleman and his three girls love him.

This is Sam, full name Sonoran Sam
[Image: IMG_6569.JPG]

He matches my décor. I repainted to match my snakes.Smiley4
Catherine

Sam is a lovely-looking snake.
Is he originally from the Sonoran desert?

It's so interesting hearing about their different characters, and their preferences, Catherine.
I like the idea of re-painting to match the snakes! Big Grin I must admit -a rug made in his colours, with a woven pattern like his pattern, would be lovely on a wood floor!
Sam was hatched in Toronto and I raised him, but corn snakes are more from the Florida area. His colour is like a sunset over the desert or cactus flowers or some of the rocks. Sam made me think of the Sonoran desert.

The name Sam comes from a Dr. Suess book. Are you familiar with the book, Green Eggs and Ham. Sam wants someone to eat a plate of green eggs and ham. It is all in rhymes and I loved it as a kid.

Sam is special. He is a gentle creature. I can hold him while he eats and I can hold his food. Even the best of snakes can accidentally nip at feeding time, if I am careless, but not Sam. He is a quiet one, but the girls love him and he has the most offspring of all my snakes. He and Earl are both grandfathers for the first time. I love both my boys. Earl is a big slow moving old man. All my snakes are sweet and they all have their own personalities.

My walls are the same as Sam's lighter background colour. I love the colour. I chose paint that makes me feel good and I chose snakes in colours that I like.
Catherine