Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"These little piggies" on Canadian TV
Here's a programme for Catherine and any other members/visitors living in Canada (details copied from an e-mail I received from "Mercy for Animals Canada"):

The findings of Mercy For Animals Canada’s latest undercover investigation will be released on national television this weekend, exposing rampant animal abuse in Canada’s livestock transport industry.

Please tune in on Saturday, October 11, at 7 p.m. to watch the exclusive exposé on CTV’s nationally renowned W5. You don’t want to miss it!

Be sure to spread the word about this important story on Facebook and Twitter and encourage your friends and family to watch as well.

More details about this groundbreaking investigation will be released soon.

(Quote ends).
Darn I missed it. I will have to look for it on the internet. I am sure it has been rebroadcast somewhere. It is very late so I will do this tomorrow.
Sadly our Canadian farm animals are not well treated. We have a lot of work to do to fix things.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Video 
This site might give you more info.
http://www.ctvnews.ca/w5/hidden-camera-i...-1.2049011
Catherine

I just received an update e-mail from MFAC. For those who missed the programme and wish to see the video, the link is here: http://www.mercyforanimals.ca/transport/

I should warn readers of this thread that the content of the video is gruesome. Those who are very sensitive may not wish to view it. But cruelty is cruelty, and we need to publicise it if anything is to be done to stop it. Turning one's back on cruelty and pretending it does not exist is not an option, for anyone who loves animals.
I will watch the video when I get home tonight. Thank-you for posting it.
Catherine

I can't watch the video. I signed the petition however.
The links I posted were to the W5 broadcast. They include more info about the government agency and more background story. It isn't an easier video to watch, but it probably reached a lot of people.

Mercy For Animals is doing a fantastic job of getting the truth out. Every direction you look you see ways in which Canada is failing its farm animals. We need to force change on the Canadian Government because the kind of reform we need can only come from a change of laws.

Of course if we stopped eating pork it would make a statement.
Catherine

I came across a follow up article on the pig situation. The Western Hog Exchange had plenty to say. It is a long article, but even reading part of it give you the basics of their response.

http://www.albertafarmexpress.ca/2014/10...pen-again/

As usual so low level workers were fired and no doubt some changes were made. I just wish I believed the whole thing could be taken at face value. The abuse was not a break down of the system, it was the system. The fact that the Government inspectors appear in the abuse video and are doing nothing to protect the pigs, tells you that the situation was "normal".
I am sure there will be some improvements at least for awhile.
Will they be enough, I doubt it. Will they last or will things drift back to what they were, maybe.
The whole agricultural system is a mess. That needs a bigger fix than a few protocol changes. Will our government act to bring about these changes, I doubt it. We do have an election in a year.
Catherine