Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reptiles on the move
This is the time of year when reptiles need to think about winter and where to sleep. If I thought they would come I would build a den for them. All over Ontario our reptiles are finding places to sleep off the cold. That is why my lost baby Pine Snake was found.

Just once I would love to come across a hibernaculum.
http://www.zanesvilletimesrecorder.com/story/news/local/2014/10/19/fall-reptiles-move/17582829/

Can you imagine being there when they emerge in the Spring. Now that would be exciting!Smiley58

Canada is not the only place to have hibernating snakes.
http://www.itv.com/news/channel/update/2...ass-snake/
I did not know that Jersey Island had snakes. I learn something new every day.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Even here in UK, newts and frogs come on land to hibernate. Maybe Toads do too. I don't know enough about them. Last year a Newt came into my house for a visit in the Autumn. I think she (female common Newt) was looking for a place to over-winter. I hope she was ok. I did put her outside after her visit. She was a sweet gentle curious visitor!

I never think of Jersey Island as having snakes! I didn't know that.

I have never seen snakes here hibernating in my garden anywhere. We have Adders and Grass Snakes. I have never seen either in my garden, though I have seen them not far away. But there have been Slow Worms here. Slow Worms love to hide among large pieces of wood which lean up against walls....etc. I have discovered complete nests of them a few times, and very often in town, in the past.
I have never seen a slow worm. That would be so exciting. I remember the newt. Right now I have a slug in my bathroom. I guess that is not as much fun. It did eat when I fed it last night. It is too cold to put it outside now.

I think snakes go quite deep into old animal burrows or under rocks in natural hollows. It would be interesting to know the site of a hibernaculum and watch for the snakes to come and go. They must all be settle in by now so we will see no wild reptiles until spring.

My little Western Hognose Snakes can hibernate and I think it is good for them. Some of my other snakes shut down for a short period. In Feb over half my snakes will stop eating for a few weeks. I might even cool the Hognoses down and give then a dark period. They like to be left alone in the winter anyhow. When the weather is at its coldest I will encourage some of them to sleep.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine