Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Baby Gorilla Kamina
There are some wonderful videos of Kamina's progress. I am posting the back story so you know who she is.

Getting started

Week 3

week 4

Week 5

I think it shows incredible dedication to do so much so that Kamina can grow up to be a happy gorilla in a happy gorilla troop.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

She is just delightful. I'm sure she will become a wonderful adult gorilla. Such dedication and determination on the part of her keepers.
Greeting from Wales.
Hwyl Fawr o'r Cymru.
This is the web site of the rescue I volunteer at.
http://guinearescue.blogspot.co.uk/
They are a good group of people. They already raised Gladys and she now lives with the other gorillas and has an adopted mother gorilla and of course Jomo her adoptive gorilla father. Jomo was raised at Toronto Zoo and we are proud of him.
Catherine

They are giving her such wonderful care and support. I hope one of the adults will want to adopt her. It looked promising when the large female caressed her head.
The moms all want her, but they will choose the older female since the one younger one has a young baby and they other young one will probably have a baby soon. I am not sure how many females they have.

Gorillas are good at caring for babies and they did introduce the baby right away and have her where the others can see her.
Catherine

It has been a while since I updated you on Kamina's story. It hasn't worked out for her with a number of Gorilla moms. She has been moved again in hopes of settling her in with a gorilla family. At last there is success and now I am sure she will grow up to be a healthy happy gorilla.

http://kfor.com/2015/02/26/former-oklaho...ejections/

She is so cute and she has not let her rejections get her down.
Catherine

Poor little sweetie -to be rejected by the others. But sometimes in life we get rejection in order to keep us on the right track to finding that special 'someone'....and if we hadn't had to keep moving along we might never have met them! It might have been that way for Kamina, and her new mother, Toni.
You are right. Toni is the ideal mom. She is experienced and has another foster baby. So Kamina will be part of a healthy troop and she will have a good mom and a sibling.

Her birth mom just couldn't do it and the other females just were not bonding with her.

If only we were so smart about adoptions and made sure that the placements were working out. I think in the wild other gorilla moms would take over a baby that wasn't being cared for. The mothering instinct is strong.Heart
Catherine