Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Melbourne Cup: Two horses killed
Araldo wasn't instantly euthanased. He was taken to one of the best Vet hospitals in this state and they were looking at putting a plate in his leg. The vets, not the owner or trainer, said that his pastern was too badly damaged to be saved. Nobody wanted to see the horse dead. The difference between repairing a horses leg and a human leg is that a human understands they will be unable to use that leg for weeks. Getting a horse to rest is extremely difficult.
How he broke his leg also had nothing to do with the race. It was an idiot waving a giant flag at his face that spooked him. Could happen to any horse, any where. If one of my horses broke its leg, I would have it put down too. And that has nothing to do with financial gain.

I've seen horses have worse accidents in their own paddocks. My neighbours horse, Lolly, managed to tear off half her hoof. A friends horse died when she was struck by lightning. My own horse cut his leg open down to the bone with one of his own hooves!

Admire Rakti's situation is rare. Incredibly unfortunate and upsetting.

The only reason this has come under such scrutiny from people is because the Melbourne cup is massively publicised. People saw it. Tomorrow it will be forgotten. Every other day of the year no one thinks twice about what injuries or deaths are occurring in cross country, or show jumping, or dressage, or pony club or the local competition down the road or my spaz of a beast in her paddock.

Messages In This Thread
Melbourne Cup: Two horses killed - by LPC - 11-04-2014, 11:57 PM
RE: Melbourne Cup: Two horses killed - by platy - 11-05-2014, 03:25 PM
RE: Melbourne Cup: Two horses killed - by LPC - 11-06-2014, 04:51 AM
RE: Melbourne Cup: Two horses killed - by Tobi - 11-08-2014, 07:40 AM
RE: Melbourne Cup: Two horses killed - by platy - 11-08-2014, 03:46 PM
RE: Melbourne Cup: Two horses killed - by platy - 11-08-2014, 06:52 PM