Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Animal Shelter Garden
Quote:There is plenty of Marjoram growing in Sally's garden (the cat I look after) and it poses no issues for her. She is uninterested in it and doesn't ever nibble it.
Lavender might be a nice plant. Certainly cats will avoid it but even if they accidentally ingest some it won't really hurt them. But it prefers full sun to do well.
How about a wild strawberry? Totally harmless for cats (they will show no interest in it but again even if they accidentally nibble, it won't hurt them) and I should think Guinea Pigs would like it? Wild strawberry will of course, put runners out and completely take over wherever it is planted, but the fruits are lovely. Nasturtiums are a blaze of colour for ages in the summer, even more so when they are dead-headed. They are good food for people! Guinea Pigs I am sure can eat them. Bees love them. Cats avoid them and aren't interested!
Yes, veggies will be wonderful for the piggies! And if there might be too much plain green -Lettuces and cabbage come in all sorts of colours and shapes, and there are also purple cauliflowers as well as broccoli!

One whole container is strawberries with a tree in the middle. There is fruit. I couldn't find and Marjoram, but I can check other garden centres.
I might be able to get Lavender. I love the way it smells and you are right, cats will leave it alone.
I have basil, savoury, oregano and tarragon. I also got some catnip plants and "cat grass", it might be oats, but it is safe for cats to chew on. There were kale and collard plants and a little parsley, but not much else. The guinea pigs will eat kale and collards. I want to get something growing for this year.

I picked up a pretty yellow rose for the main garden. It is a landscaping rose so it should be hardy. Weather permitting I will plant everything tomorrow.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Messages In This Thread
The Animal Shelter Garden - by Catherine - 07-04-2015, 02:44 PM
RE: The Animal Shelter Garden - by Tobi - 07-05-2015, 09:33 AM
RE: The Animal Shelter Garden - by Catherine - 07-05-2015, 07:23 PM
RE: The Animal Shelter Garden - by Tobi - 07-06-2015, 09:42 AM
RE: The Animal Shelter Garden - by Catherine - 07-06-2015, 04:33 PM