The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable - Line: 864 - File: showthread.php PHP 7.4.33 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 864 errorHandler->error

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Norway lifts 40 year ban on pet reptiles
For the last 40 years  Norway has banned pet reptiles. Now they are lifting the ban and allowing a number of species as pets.

Good going Norway! Reptiles make great pets.

http://news.google.ca/news/url?sr=1&ct2=...t=2&at=dt0

Since they estimate there are at least 100,000 reptile pets in Norway anyhow it makes no sense to keep banning them.

http://news.google.ca/news/url?sr=1&ct2=...t=2&at=dt0

I do take exception to the remarks of an animal rights activist on the subject:

(Animal rights activists, however, were not pleased. “We’re quite disappointed,” said Live Kleveland of Dyrevernalliansen, “that the government is legalizing these animals that can never have a good life in captivity.” She also expressed concerns about “serious infection danger,” and feared smuggling would continue.)

Clearly she has never had a reptile or spent any time with someone who has reptiles. Reptiles can have good lives with people. I don't use the word captive or captivity since a domestic pet reptile is no more a captive than a domestic cat or dog. They have been raised to live with people and they like our company.
Seriously. I go out to work in all weathers while my bearded dragons lie sleeping under the heat light. When I get home I will feed them first before I get my own supper. In the morning they will get their plate of veggies before I have my coffee. It sounds like a good life to me. I bought fancy water dishes for my snakes that look good with their colours. I clean their tanks more often than I do my own cleaning. They have an easier life than I do. You never see a sleep deprived snake rushing out the door saying I am late for work, I need to hurry.  Maybe that is why reptiles live so long. They have very mellow lives.

At any rate, good for Norway!
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Messages In This Thread
Norway lifts 40 year ban on pet reptiles - by Catherine - 05-13-2017, 03:10 PM