Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Russia killing strays ahead of the World Cup
(06-13-2018, 02:32 PM)Catherine Wrote: Every time there is some major world sports event the stray dogs become the scape goat for all the things the host country has failed to do. Many of these countries have some serious social issues, human rights issues, health issues and infrastructure issues. So what do they focus on? Killing stray dogs so outsiders will not see strays. Issues like homelessness and unemployment do not matter as long as there are no stray dogs. The stray dogs are a symptom of other problems. Instead of solving problems  culling stray dogs draws attention to them.

Just once I would like to read about a sports event that benefited the host country, including the homeless animals.

Even the Olympics in Vancouver had its problems. They ran sled dog rides during the event for the tourists. When it was over and the tourists had gone home they killed a hundred sled dogs rather than find a place for them.

Does this just happen with sports events or do other gatherings involve animal abuse?

Yes, the dogs running wild draw attention to many things that are wrong in that host country. I would say the most obvious thing that is wrong in such a case, is lack of proper facilities for those dogs to be rounded up, housed, spayed/neutered, taken care of, and adopted out! With adoption fees and proper charitable organisation for funding, that could pay for itself in the long run. All it needs is the will and some hard work.
But the attitude is deeply negative towards them. They are just dogs and just a nuisance.

The dogs look untidy, and will hassle the tourists for food. There will be dog mess about the place. They might even bite. They might have rabies.....that is the thinking behind it. And what retarded thinking!

Especially if we remember that somewhere along the line some humans turned these dogs out to fend for themselves.

And I am absolutely shocked and horrified to hear about what happened to those sled dogs. How wicked!

Messages In This Thread
RE: Russia killing strays ahead of the World Cup - by Tobi - 06-14-2018, 03:18 AM