Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dogs beaten, tied in a bag and tossed in a river in Spain
From the second of the articles you cited, dear Catherine:

"Galgos have been thrown down wells, cast into rivers to drown, burned to death, and doused with acid. Some are left in forests, their legs intentionally broken so they can’t find their way home. “Last year we found one, and someone had gone at it with a pin hammer on the back of the skull,” recalls Marylou Hecht, director of both the U.S. branch of Galgos del Sol and of Galgo Podenco Support, a U.S.-based organization focused on facilitating American adoptions of galgos and podencos. (Podencos are a breed of hunting dog facing similar mass abandonment in Spain.)

And then there are the hangings. Dogs who have performed well in competition but are no longer in top form may be hanged high from a tree—a relatively quick death. Those who have embarrassed their galgueros by racing poorly may also be hanged, but low to the ground so their paws barely touch. Their desperate scrabbling for footing as they slowly choke to death is called “piano playing,” Christman explains."

This leaves me feeling sick and ashamed to be a human. Yes, there are plenty of good humans - some are rescuing these poor dogs - but the cruel ones make me feel sick physically. I sometimes wonder whether the world wouldn't be better if there were no humans on it.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Dogs beaten, tied in a bag and tossed in a river in Spain - by LPC - 08-03-2020, 04:16 AM