Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2015 Bird Count
I love Black Swans.Heart
You have had a good year!

The Goshawk is a graceful bird. We have a North American version and I see that it does range this far north. I will watch for it.

So far I have seen no new birds, but the weather is about to change so suddenly there will be returning birds and if I am lucky there will be migrating birds. [Image: t117013.gif]
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

I love your pictures. The Brown Thornbill is a cute little fellow.

The crested pigeon picture is really an interesting angle. You are lucky he didn't get you, but it was worth the risk to get such a good shot.

I know what you mean about the Goshawk being big. I couldn't believe how big the Red tailed Hawk looked when he was taking off.

Maybe new birds tomorrow. It is supposed to reach 1 C. It feels like summer it is so much warmer than the -25C we have had all winter.
Catherine

13) House Finch
They are a cute little bird.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRN9YXpMZ04xdMYfqevF5L...HlMZ6NAu1Q]

There were house Finches at the bird feeder this morning!
It is going to be +5C later in the week. So there will be more birds.

Looking at the link you posted I would say the birds have already started to fly north. Some of our birds travel a long way, some just fly into the bush where they are more sheltered. The big one is the North American Robin. They are considered the first true sign of spring. Once they are back winter is over. So expect a post about a Robin sighting very soon.
Catherine

I finally saw a Mourning Dove (14). I love the Mourning Doves. Their coos are haunting, but I like the sound. They are a beautiful soft dove Grey and their wings make a whirring sound taking off. They are a gentle sweet bird and I missed them during the long winter.
Catherine

I saw a flock of Crows(15), beautiful shiny black Crows. They are so black against the deep blue sky on this bright sunny almost warm day.(warm by my post winter standards)

The birds are coming back!
Catherine

Those are pretty birds. I do love the shore birds and wading birds. They are so interesting to watch. No luck today, but I have high hopes for tomorrow.
Catherine

You are seeing an amazing collection of birds. I just saw a few pigeons, starlings and gulls. I heard a Blue Jay and I understand the Robins are back, but I have not seen one. Once the Robins are back it is Spring. I will keep you posted.
Catherine

Wow, you have a birding year ahead of you. I can't imagine seeing a wild parrot. Just the idea is exciting. Australia is the right place for a bird watcher. Your field trips sound exciting. No doubt you will top last years bird list, you might even double it.

Realistically, I will do well to hit fifty, unless I do well with migrating birds. I can hope.
Catherine

So far I have only seen the birds that winter here. That is a pretty small number. I am much more aware of the birds around me and I am watching for signs of migration.

It would be interesting to travel to South America and see the birds, but I would rather go to Churchill Manitoba and see the arctic.

It is interesting to see a change in attitude. People are taking notice of birds. I am glad to hear that there are people taking bird studies. We can learn a lot from birds. They also reflect the state of an ecosystem.
You might want to include bird studies in your program.
Catherine

You are going to top the hundred before the year is half over.
Still no migrating birds here and the summer birds are not back yet.
Catherine