Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2015 Bird Count
[Image: t9307.gif][Image: t9303.gif][Image: t9304.gif][Image: t9305.gif][Image: t9306.gif]
[Image: g0508.gif]

At last I have seen my First Robin of Spring.Smiley58

16) American robin (Turdus migratorius) it is actually a large member of the Thrush Family
Robins are a beautiful bird and they have strong voices. One Robin singing can fill the air with its sound.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT9DLDtkgVCWXLCFCZP-L4...rfChXZZBhH]
Now I know spring is here, in spite of the possibility of snow and freezing rain.Smiley4
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Now that is a beautiful bird and I was just thinking that it looked like a Magpie and then I read that is often mistaken for a Magpie.

Pied Currawong? Who thinks up these names?
Catherine

I did some searching and the white gulls I am seeing are (17) the Glaucous Gull. They are seen in this area in the winter. They are beautifully white and are quite graceful flyers.

It makes sense that Currawong is an aboriginal name. I am sure many animal names around the world are based on local languages.
Catherine

That is a fine looking bird. His colour is beautiful. It is hard to get your own pictures isn't it. The eye can record an image much faster than a camera. We can see it, but we can't always photograph it.

I am still just seeing my usual birds. A few warm days and our migrating friends will pass through, but we have not had the few warm days.
Catherine

Finally, some birds!
I saw a (18) Grackle. They are a fine big bird and I will see lots of the later in the summer.
(19) Red Winged Black Bird. They are back and they are ready to nest.

(20) Ring Billed Gull. There were lots of them, but the funniest had a whole orange in his mouth. He couldn't peel it without help, but he didn't want to share. Silly Bird!

(21) Trumpeter Swan. This is a special bird. They were wild in Ontario, but then they were wiped out.
Rather than try to explain the story I will post a link to a swan web site.

http://www.wyemarsh.com/swans

It is a wonderful story of successfully returning a species to its natural habitat. We have done so much damage to wildlife, especially birds. It is a happy thing to hear about the work being done to fix things.
Catherine

Those are all special birds. You are having a good year!
Catherine

An orange bellied parrot would be quite a sight. Let us hope we both see some new birds soon. The birds I am seeing are quite happily setting up their nests so there will be more birds. The migrating birds still have to pass through the area. There is always tomorrow when you are looking for birds.
Catherine

I am glad one of us got to see some birds. The Pardalote is pretty. I can see the similarity to the Aboriginal dot paintings. I wonder if they were the inspiration for the style of art.

I have noticed that about snake markings. I am sure some North American Native art is inspired by our reptiles. Bird would be even more of an inspiration.

So far I am seeing the same birds over and over. I thought I heard a thrush, but I am not sure yet. If it is I will eventually get to see the bird.
Catherine

I have heard of the Cape Barren Goose. You are going to make the hundred before the year is half over.
I must take a long walk along the river. I am sure I will see some different birds there. It is only just warming up here so the birds are slow returning.
Catherine

Number ninety! You are going to make it to 100 before the year is half over.
I almost saw a pine grosbeak. It is in our neighbourhood and I might have heard it. I am going to keep watching. I saw him last fall so he passes through here while migrating.
Catherine