Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Walmart urges suppliers to treat animals humanely
Thumbs Up 
This is big news since Walmart is so big in North America.
Walmart has chosen to encourage humane treatment of farm animals. They are also calling for a reduction of antibiotic use. In every way, this is an amazing victory.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/business/wal-mart-...-1.2385668

They are even calling for the "five freedoms outlined by the World Organization for Animal Health to guide its approach to animal welfare. They include freedom from pain and injury and freedom to express normal behaviour."

Big companies are recognizing that we care where our food comes from and they are responding accordingly. More importantly, people are starting to care where their food comes from. Maybe the whole factory farming system can be changed.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Very true. I have suspicions that Walmart are acting out of commercial motives (to keep and/or attract customers who object to cruelty), but at the end of the day if the outcome is better for animals, then that must be for the better.

I think that this also shows how the internet can be a power for good: making people aware on a large scale of the issues of cruelty involving animals. Public awareness about factory farming and slaughter methods has grown immensely these past five years or so, as the word spreads.
Quote:I think that this also shows how the internet can be a power for good: making people aware on a large scale of the issues of cruelty involving animals. Public awareness about factory farming and slaughter methods has grown immensely these past five years or so, as the word spreads

I see the internet as a powerful tool. We can change the world with it.
The internet may have more impact on society than the invention of the printing press.
It puts knowledge out there for people to see. We can send a campaign around the world in a matter of hours. We don't have to be organized or even part of the same group. If you put an issue out there, it will be passed on by someone else.

That makes people who care very powerful. Walmart will change because we demand change. The whole factory farming system can be changed, because we want it.
Animals Australia put it very well when asked when we agreed to factory farming and then pointed out that we didn't agree to it. Now that we know we are choosing to reject it.

I think we should expect more changes in the future.
Catherine

This is a good article that clarifies things a little.

https://www.aspca.org/blog/wal-mart-anno...-treatment

There is no doubt that this is significant event. Everyone is talking about it.
Catherine

Agreed, LPC. Naturally Wal-Mart's [or any other big business] primary concern is profits. But as you say, the end result is what really matters, not so much how we got there.
I am happy to finally hear something positive in the news about Wal-Mart. Not a huge fan of their policies in the past, but I have been seeing they are finally making an effort to improve things for their customers as well as their employees. It's about time!!
[Image: m0223.gif] Come join the fun! [Image: m0218.gif]
mypetsonparade.com
It is the power of the internet at work. We are able to make our views known and a big company that ignores us will end up as a not so big company. Finally consumer rights are real.
Catherine