Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
EU votes to end bullfighting subsidies
The EU cannot directly stop bullfighting, but this step in important. They are ending the subsidy to the farmers who breed the bulls for bullfighting. This makes it less profitable to produce these bulls. It makes bullfighting more expensive. This may be the key to stopping it. We already know it is a barbaric practice, but now it is a more expensive barbaric practice.

http://www.hsi.org/world/europe/news/rel...02815.html

It may take awhile for this to have an effect. It would be good if we ended bullfighting because it is so cruel. However if it can be stopped by economic means that is good enough for me. The cruelty still comes to an end.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

It would appear that this amendment vote, while a very positive move, still has to be approved by finance ministers, who seems to have the last say:

(From the article Catherine cited)
"The Parliament’s report will now be sent to the Finance Ministers of the 28 EU Member States, who will have to reach an agreement with the European Parliament with respect to the EU budget for 2016 and whether the budget appropriations may be used to subsidise activities associated with bullfighting."

Given the publicity, it seems likely that ministers will agree to end this subsidy. The main issue, of course, is the terrible suffering caused to bulls during these barbaric spectacles. But it also seems totally inappropriate to finance farming activities which have nothing at all to do with food production, only suffering.

One positive thing about the enlargement of the EU (including Baltic states) is that the new countries do not have a bullfighting history, so are all in favour of its abolition (or at least, ending financial subsidies for bulls to be grown for bullfighting).
That is good news.
It is a very positive move, and there may be enough weight behind the report for it to mean the abolition of bullfighting. I do hope so. It has been obvious for a long time that it is barbaric.
(10-30-2015, 10:00 AM)Tobi Wrote: It is a very positive move, and there may be enough weight behind the report for it to mean the abolition of bullfighting. I do hope so. It has been obvious for a long time that it is barbaric.

These are my sentiments too.
Quote:Given the publicity, it seems likely that ministers will agree to end this subsidy. The main issue, of course, is the terrible suffering caused to bulls during these barbaric spectacles. But it also seems totally inappropriate to finance farming activities which have nothing at all to do with food production, only suffering.

I have hopes that this will go through. It is a small step in ending bull fighting, but it could be the beginning of the end. Too many people are against such cruel spectacles. Withdrawing financial support might be enough to shut it down. It is expensive to raise these bulls. The public would need to pay much more if the subsidy is withdrawn. I don't think they have the numbers attending the bullfights anyhow. Certainly people will not want to pay more to see them. I am hoping that young people will decide not to train as matadors in the first place.

Look how fast Gadhimai was ended. Anything is possible.
Catherine

We have got used to the word "Matador" to mean something heroic and brave, and rather glamorous, and essentially masculine with an attractive cutting edge.

But the real meaning of that word is revealing; "Matador" means "Killer", from the word "Matar" (kill....kill by wounding) probably originates from Arabic "Mata" meaning dead.
Maybe that's where we got the word "Mortal" from , and "La Mort" in French.

Now it doesn't sound like such an honourable or glamorous profession does it?

I hope Spanish young men will not be glamourised into thinking they will be heroes if they choose this so-called profession. It's better that they choose something else truly decent.
The Latin word for death is mortem. I think that is the root of the French and English words. I don't know if the Arabic word comes from the same root somehow. They seem similar and yet not. Mata and Mortem are different and probably have very different origins. As you pointed out, Matador would come from the Arabic word. It would be interesting to trace the words.

That being said, I never thought of a Matador as a heroic figure. When I heard the word, I also found out what they do. I don't remember how young I was, but I was appalled. I think I have always thought of Matadors as cowards who kill bulls while worse coward watch.

No one has ever accused me of not having strong opinions about things.
Bullfighting should have been ended many years ago.
I hope this is the beginning of the end of it.
Catherine