Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Woman charged for giving water to pigs
An Ontario woman is being charged with mischief because she gave water to a truck full of pigs bound for slaughter.

Anita was moved by the sight of pigs in transport trucks heading to slaughter houses. She founded Toronto Pig Save. She protests, but she also gives thirsty pigs water from a water bottle.
The people who plan to kill the pigs don't like that. They don't want the pigs to have water or anything else that might make their last hours more comfortable.
So this time the trucker fought with her and then he called the police. The next day they came to her house and charged her with mischief. Apparently it is considered a crime to do a kindness to an animal that is about to be killed.

I really hope the charges are thrown out. It would be too weird if the guy who is doing something cruel to an animal gets to charge the one who is being kind to them.

Copy and paste the address and you can get to the article.
http://globalnews.ca/news/2317854/prelim...r-to-pigs/

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/woman-facin...-1.2642163

How bad is our system when you can be charged for an act of kindness. Pigs arrive at the slaughter houses already dead regularly. So clearly the transport method is cruel and endangering animals. Why is the truck driver or the pig owner not being charged?
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

I never heard of anything so ridiculous. I hope this kind women gets lots of support from the public.

Our system is broken when you can be charged for an act of kindness.
I know nothing about Canadian law, but I couldn't imagine this happening in the UK or France - unless someone blocked the road or damaged the vehicle. But this lady did nothing like that.

I found a more detailed account here: http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/ontario-wom...-1.2640826

What is a roadway median? It must be Canadian language (maybe American, too?).

It would seem that the driver was terrified that there might be something added to the water, from the reported conversation. In addition to being aggressive and threatening the poor lady, he seems to be paranoid about poisoning, too!

This compassionate lady deserves praise and support, not criminal charges! Once again, civil law and the law of Love go in opposite directions.
(11-05-2015, 04:46 PM)cathie Wrote: Our system is broken when you can be charged for an act of kindness.

Those words are too true, cathie.

I see no reason why anyone should legally get away with torturing animals. Slaughtering them humanely - but not torturing them.

The system has to change. These things cannot be allowed.
A roadway median is a concrete piece between the traffic lanes that run in opposite directions. At an intersection they can be wide enough to stand on safely and that is what we do when we cross a very wide road.

In the very hot weather a number of pigs die of heat stress on the way to the slaughterhouse. It is just assumed that some will die like that and it is figured into the cost.

It is not a nice way to die and the pigs are clearly thirsty. The driver does not want the pigs to be treated kindly. There is no way he could think a protestor was trying to hurt the pigs. Her act of kindness really bothers him. He is driving the pigs to their death and she is showing them kindness. Perhaps he is more bothered by his job than he cares to admit. People over react at times like that.

It is ridiculous that she is being charged with anything.
Catherine

Those poor poor piggies!
Quote:Those poor poor piggies!
I know. Canada is terrible when it comes to animals being transported for slaughter. They let them haul animals in extreme heat and cold with no protection and no water. No ones raises a concern if many animals arrive dead after a horrific trip. 
 It can get extremely hot in our area in the summer.  If she had broken a car window to free a dog dying in a hot car, she would be a hero. She gave water to thirsty pigs so she is being charged. How ridiculous is that! Of course they plan to kill the pigs, so they do not want anyone to think about them compassionately.  Perhaps charging her will bring the plight of pigs to the public's notice. It might get people thinking about how pigs and other animals are treated.
Catherine

I am glad she gave the pigs water. That is ludicrous that they are charging her. They act the same way toward pigs and cows and other animals considered livestock here. I guess there are some more compassionate farms here but way too few.
I think they figure charging her will stop the protestors. I think it will have the opposite effect. I think she will be more determined and so will the people with her. Also they are making the whole issue very public. We all know about it now. When it comes to court at the end of the month, even more people will be there to protest. More people will be there to give water to the pigs.  I wish her well. What she does is a good thing.
Catherine