Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Protests against African hunting Show
There is an African Hunting show being held this weekend just north of Toronto. Venders are hoping to sell hunting trips and animal kills.
The show has had to move its location twice, once at the last minute. The venue owners received so many protests from animal activists that they cancelled the controversial show.

Right now a group of dedicated protestors are outside the current location chanting:  THERE IN NO EXCUSE
                                                                                                                          FOR ANIMAL ABUSE

Every time I put on the news they play a clip of the protestors chanting.

Hunting shows may find that they have trouble booking locations for shows. No Venue wants to be involved in a controversial issue. I don't blame them for making a booking. It is off season and they need the money. However it is now clear that a hunting show is not worth the money. They stand to lose to much in the long run. They could find their venue on a boycott list for animal rights groups.

http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&e...-ED3DbUlmA

http://www.yorkregion.com/community-stor...-protests/

This is the first event like this in the area since the death of Cecil the lion at the hands of a dentist/killer. I think Cecil has become the lion we think of when we want to protest. Being vaguely against trophy hunting is good. Better is to know that we are against hunting because no other animal should die like Cecil.

Cecil lives on in our hearts.

My  24 hour news station is mentioning the protest every 15 minutes. They play clips of the protest and they have interviewed the protest leader. This is great publicity. At no point are the hunters being seen as good guys.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

I am glad to hear that protesters are making such an impact here. It is time attitudes towards hunting were drastically changed. Animals suffer tremendously, as was the case with poor Cecil. My own opinion is -it is time it came to an end.

I made my own stand against hunting today. A hunt was on, through the orchard, and on my lane, with people and beagles charging about all over the place, hanging around my house....etc.
So I got a big stick, with a piece of cardboard attached to it, saying
"I do not know what sort of 'hunt' this is, or if it is even legal?
But consider this:
Our incredible arrogance in dealing with the forces of Nature is one of the major things which holds our species back from the evolution of consciousness."

I went away from the house after a little while because I did not like the overall atmosphere of those people, and left the notice standing just outside my cottage where they couldn't fail to read it. I walked a couple of miles, and then found out from a neighbour on a bike, that the hunt was "Hare coursing".

No doubt they will all chat about that "weird person who is a bit left-wing and has no idea of the ways of the countryside...." There are a few round here who don't agree with such 'sports' but many, who do.
Good for you that you got your message across.  I think I have heard of Hare Coursing. If I am understanding it right, they just go where they want with no regard for other peoples property. How can they hang around your place. They have no right to be there.

If you knew where they lived you could go on their property and sit in their back yard and say you are Garden Coursing or something like that. It would be just as legal.

The protests here have gone well. The big thing is the venues cancelling last minute. No one wants hunters renting their places for hunting shows. They would lose too much other business. When animal rights people speak things happen.

We  are seen as more powerful than the hunters. The show that was supposed to happen in Saskatoon was cancelled altogether.
If I hear anything else I will post it.
Catherine

It is good to hear that the protesters are having such a strong effect. One voice may go unheard, but when people team together they can make changes happen. Maybe hunt supporters will eventually get the message.

My cottage is right on a lane which is public, so the hunters legally had a right of way there. The orchard just across the lane belongs to the people who organised the hunt. Behind me are fields and the hill, which belong to the farmer. I have never seen him or his wife participating in any hunts. He probably didn't even know they were there.
But their attitude is pretty arrogant. They march about all over the place. They may have got permission from landowners for all I know. They didn't of course, come into my garden.
Though I would have welcomed fifty beagles, I would not have welcomed ONE footfall of ONE human! (mean aren't I? Smiley4 )

As for the poor hares....I have not seen an over-population of them round here. I see the odd one or two. I cannot understand any need to kill them , much less terrify them to exhaustion then have dogs rip them apart!
You would have had all fifty Beagles in your place, fed them snacks and ended the hunt because the dogs would have stayed.

I think there is something about hunters that gives them a thrill when they hunt and kill things.
They give all kinds of excuses about managing populations and conservation etc. They did the same for the hunting show here.
The truth is, they like killing, but more than that, they like to run down and terrorize what they kill.  

I find when you get to know them, hunters have other ideas you and I wouldn't like.
They think they own the planet and everything is for their use. They don't feel the pain of the animal so they don't care.
That is part of the problem. They don't feel for the world around them.

The world has a history of people who do not feel for others. Some have done a lot of damage. I don't know what can be done to change them. The world will be a better place when more people care.
Catherine

"They give all kinds of excuses about managing populations and conservation etc"

That is exactly the kind of excuse they use. You are right. Very often, they think they are doing Nature a favour. That is the usual attitude carried by those who set "Larsen Traps"...that they are supporting the songbird population (which can be fragile), and protecting it against predation by Corvids, (Magpies, Crows, Jackdaws, etc) I think they actually believe it.
But the bottom line is the deliberate unfeeling cruelty involved. NO creature should be subjected to cruelty for the sake of any ideal (except maybe volunteers for SAS selection!). That is the absolute base line.

The hunters who support blood sports of any kind, in any country imagine that those who oppose them are uninformed, and naive about wildlife management.

An interesting observation I have made concerns the wild deer where I live. They have no natural predators, and a perfect environment in which to thrive and multiply. There are no organised deer hunts (though poachers operate in a big woods a few miles away) However, I have not noticed an over-population, sickly stock, or significant damage to trees, crops, etc. They may take a few corn stalks, but no more than the Badgers, and maybe create a 0.5% -if that -reduction in yield in a 5 acre field. Trees thrive also. (Where they are allowed to by humans!) Deer do no significant damage to tree growth either, even when planting is NOT managed by people, or saplings protected.
I am out there all the time in all seasons, and notice these things
It seems there were protests in Calgary against the African hunting show. That is impressive since Calgary and the whole province have a lot of hunters.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/ca...-1.3408471

I notice that the hotel does not plan to hold another African hunting show next year.

The Saskatoon show has found another location and has rescheduled. However the protesters read the papers so they know that too. I am sure new protests are being organized.

Quote:But the bottom line is the deliberate unfeeling cruelty involved. NO creature should be subjected to cruelty for the sake of any ideal (except maybe volunteers for SAS selection!). That is the absolute base line.
Okay, what is SAS selection?
You are so right. The hunters always make the claim that they are involved in population management. They prevent forest damage and prevent sickly stock and all kinds of other excuses. There is not a biologist in the bunch and they tend to kill the biggest and the best because they want trophies. What they do is the opposite of population management. They weaken herds and damage the woods while doing it.
Your deer are a good example of what happens when things are left alone. The herd has grown to the size the environment can handle. There is little damage to vegetation in the area. Often plants that deer eat come back up quite strong and healthy.  Nature intended that certain plants would feed animals like deer and those plants do well for the deer pruning them.
The deer don't just come in with saws and cut things back drastically. They do a steady pruning that the plants can handle. When nature does it, there is balance.
When you line that up against the cruelty of hunting there is no comparison.
Catherine