Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Animal Abuser sentenced to give DNA sample
You may remember the case of a dog found behind a an Ontario shopping centre with its neck, snout and paws bound with electrical tape. It was deliberately left to die slowly.

The man has been found guilty. The two year jail sentence isn't much, but the 25 year ban on having a pet is pretty good.
The real victory for animals  is the fact that the man has to give a DNA sample. The judge recognizes that the man is dangerous. He may hurt other animals, he may move on to hurting people, but it is dangerous. Leaving a dog to die like that is not a trivial crime. 
This is a big step. That DNA will stay on file. The message is that abusing an animal will have permanent consequences for the abuser.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/windsor/wi...-1.3433980

I know it is being argued as a civil rights violation, but I think when you commit a serious crime like animal abuse you have given up some of your rights by your own actions.  I just wish the sentence was longer than two years.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

The judge was certainly right when she said these words: "People who become serial killers begin with small animals". There have been many such documented cases.

Given that the man pleaded guilty - and therefore got credit for the guilty plea - the two year sentence is about the maximum that could have been expected. The ban and DNA test are also very wise precautions and will help to protect animals.
I hope he thinks about what harm he did to that dog for a long long time. That was a horrific crime done to the poor pup.

[Image: SIKJY9t.jpg] [Image: yRhDAiH.jpg]                                                                                            
Two years may not sound like much, but two years is a very long time in jail. He might have time to reflect on what put him there....let us hope so.
It's good that he is now on DNA records. I am glad to hear this crime against that dog was taken seriously. A 25 year ban on keeping animals is also good, and let's hope he doesn't find some way to contravene that ruling.

I honestly think all animal caretakers, whether they buy from breeders, or adopt from shelters or Rescues, should be on a database. It is impossible to have a car or any vehicle without being on a database!! If anyone tries to flaunt that law, it isn't usually long before they are caught. It should be the same with anyone who wants to have an animal. An animal's life and welfare is worth a lot more than any car I have ever seen.

I don't usually like 'rules, regulations, and paperwork'. I like freedom as much as possible, and don't really like the idea of any system somewhere knowing just who you are, what you do, etc. But for the sake of animals and their welfare I personally would be willing to make a compromise with my feelings about the 'big brother system'.
Two years is a sad sentence, but he pleaded guilty and the animal survived.
The 25 year ban is good, hard to enforce, but good.

I hope shelters take note and keep an eye open for him.

The DNA is the big thing. This has never been done here for an animal abuse case. It puts him in a permanent data base.
It is an acknowledgment that  he is dangerous(both to animals and humans) and is considered likely to reoffend.
This is more serious than finger prints on file. DNA is your genetic fingerprint and it is very personal. That is why civil liberty groups are upset about it. They are not pro animal abuse. They are uncomfortable with anyone having to give a DNA sample.
It puts him in a marked category along with child molesters.

If an animal is found abused anywhere near where he lives they will pick him up right away and question him.

I commend the judge for understanding how dangerous this man is, as are all animal abusers.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine