Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pet Theft is Happening All Over
Here is a website that tells how to protect your pets from theft and what to do if they are stolen.  It's a pretty good article with lots of usefulll information:

http://www.paws.org/get-involved/animal-...pet-theft/

[Image: SIKJY9t.jpg] [Image: yRhDAiH.jpg]                                                                                            
This is very good information, Ruth. Thank you for starting this thread. The more people who wise up about pet theft, the better. It is happening all the time.
I often think the theft of an animal is worse than it passing away from natural causes. The heartbreak and worry associated with a pet's theft is unbearable, and never ends. And often, caused by one simple error, which any of us could make.
I'm really scared of my Suzy being stolen from me while walking. I've heard from someone that a person tried to steal a dog being walked on the next street from me. I will only go out with her during daylight hours when it's less likely to happen.

Pet theft is a terrible thing. You would never be at peace wondering what happened.

That is a lot of good information. I am sure the faster you act the better chance you have of getting the pet back.
I worry every time I see a dog tied up outside a store. It would be so easy for someone to take the dog. I don't think I would want to risk leaving a dog like that.

I can see why you worry about Suzy. You wouldn't want someone to grab her.  Daylight is safer for you both anyhow. She isn't big enough to be a guard dog for you. She is more of a companion dog.

I have taken a reptile out for a walk and I am not comfortable with handing a snake over to someone to hold. It is different during the street festival. There are lots of people around. Out on the street alone they could run off and I might lose my snake.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Yes, keeping our pets safe is our number one priority I believe. Suzy is a small dog and is my companion dog. She is very friendly towards most people. When a friend walked Suzy once Suzy did not want to leave my apt. My friend said Suzy was okay once she was down the street. It made me think that someone else trying to steal her would be pretty easy and that was upsetting. I don't trust many people to even walk her. I assume I will be more careful with her than anyone else taking walks.

That's pretty cool that you took a reptile for a walk! How did you do that?

I put the snake around my neck and take a walk. Some of the snakes like to go out. Some are too shy and I respect that.
I have fun walking and they will often smell the flowers and trees. It is a fun thing to do. Lots of people really like to see the snakes.

Bearded dragons sit on my shoulder and I walk around with them. When I take Henry out he sits there proudly on my shoulder, looking like a beautiful healthy beardie. No one seeing him like that can tell he is paralyzed. I think it is good for him to go out like that.

I would be unwilling to let someone else take one of my pets out. I would be afraid that they would not be as safety conscious and could lose my pet.

When I look after someone else's pet I worry more because I would hate to have anything go wrong with someone else's pet.
I would never feel right if I did something wrong while cat sitting.
Catherine

I remember the two snakes I and a friend took for a 'walk'. It was good for them. That was obvious because they were so happy and even climbed trees, coming back to us quite happily. It was good to have a safe enclosed space where the people were happy for us to take the snakes.

I never really would have been happy for anyone else to take Misty for a walk. She was extremely good, and would have done as she was told, but accidents can happen. I always preferred to be with her.
(02-11-2016, 02:41 PM)Catherine Wrote: I put the snake around my neck and take a walk. Some of the snakes like to go out. Some are too shy and I respect that.
I have fun walking and they will often smell the flowers and trees. It is a fun thing to do. Lots of people really like to see the snakes.

Bearded dragons sit on my shoulder and I walk around with them. When I take Henry out he sits there proudly on my shoulder, looking like a beautiful healthy beardie. No one seeing him like that can tell he is paralyzed. I think it is good for him to go out like that.

I would be unwilling to let someone else take one of my pets out. I would be afraid that they would not be as safety conscious and could lose my pet.

When I look after someone else's pet I worry more because I would hate to have anything go wrong with someone else's pet.
I would never feel right if I did something wrong while cat sitting.

That's pretty cool how you walk them on your neck and shoulder!  I would be amazed to see that!  I had to have someone take Suzy out because I had just broken my ankle and foot.  He took her out several times and everything went okay even if I worried.  I am not speaking to him any more and Suzy and I go out when there is no snow but now with the snow she is using her pee pads.  I just got her a second plastic board to put the pee pad on so it won't go on the carpet.  She has been doing okay with that but sometimes goes potty on the birds newspaper that is on the floor below the stand they are on.  lol

I think I would die for Suzy if I had to if someone tried to steal her!

I think it is obvious that none of use would really trust someone else with our pets.
I hate going on holiday and leaving my pets for someone else to care for. I worry that they will not do the right things. With the snakes I would be upset if someone opened one of my tanks, even if I was there.

When I board the bunny or cat sit, I take it very seriously. That pet means as much to that person as my pets mean to me.
I do everything I can to make the bunny feel like he is on a vacation with me.He enjoys his visits.

When I take my snakes to the street festival, I take the ones who like to go out like that and I do not let them out of my sight.
I also only have one out at a time.

I guess I should feel honoured that a friend has let me walk his dog.
Catherine

Yes, I too fear that someone won't care for my pets the way I care for them but it something were to happen to me someone would have to care for them and so I should stay healthier to keep in shape to care for them. But I am really out of shape and over weight. I am going to try and change that. I'm working on it.

That is so nice that you take your snakes to the festival and you respect them the way you do. I take Suzy just about everywhere even to the doctors office at times.