Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can I save her? Sadly no.
She was really walking around tonight. I got more food, water and calcium into her. She is having trouble with her tongue getting dry on the tip and getting dirt on it. I have washed it off twice with water. I hope it doesn't get into trouble. She needs her tongue to swallow since her jaw is still not working.

I still think she will be okay in time.

Names:  Mabel? or what about Leona? or Cleo?
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

You are doing a good job Catherine! I bet she is going to be alright. I like Mabel the best of those 3 names. I have another name: Luna. I just heard that name the other day. Smile

[Image: SIKJY9t.jpg] [Image: yRhDAiH.jpg]                                                                                            
I am probably going to go with Mabel.  Luna is the bunny I board regularly.  Also I want to save the name Luna for a snow corn snakes.

Mabel is definitely more active. She wanders around the whole tank. That is a really good sign. She is taking over her space.

I left a cricket in with her and I can't find it. I am not sure she ate it, but she might have.
Once she eats on her own I will feel that she is  going to make it for sure.

So Mabel is doing very well after her usual feeding, watering and calcium dose.
Catherine

Mabel is a great name! It sounds as though she has really settled in. I hope all your good care will enable her to remineralise her bones. If not, then she is in the best place with you.
Something so simple, yet it seem too difficult for some folk to do, and it makes a huge difference to creatures well being.
Greeting from Wales.
Hwyl Fawr o'r Cymru.
This is the web site of the rescue I volunteer at.
http://guinearescue.blogspot.co.uk/
I am still working at the feeding/watering  and the calcium. Mabel is really using the whole tank. She found the other hide and actually used it.  She is stronger.  Our biggest trouble is the end of her tongue drying out and stuff getting stuck on it.
She still hangs her mouth open. I hope the bones will heal stronger and in the right position.  It could be a problem if she can never close her mouth.

I look forward to her eating on her own. When she does that I will know that she is going to be okay.
Catherine

Yes, it will be a big milestone if she can learn to eat on her own. I'm glad she is so active. What happened to her that her mouth is that way?

I really hope Mabel's mouth starts to heal and re-align okay. If she can eat on her own, and close her mouth, and isn't showing signs of pain, then she will be fine.
But at least she has a chance with you.
The mouth is open because the jaw bones are soft. She was not given proper calcium.  She gets stuff on her tongue and it looks like it might dry out. That could be a problem.  I am giving her lots of the liquid calcium. It should be enough to strengthen the bones, but I don't know if the mouth will close.  It would help if she can move it.

She likes to sleep in her house and she is interested in her tank. Those are signs that she is comfortable. I don't think it is painful in any way. She just can't eat on her own and would starve to death over time without help. Any progress will be slow. Reptiles move at a different speed, their metabolisms are slower than mammals. They also live fairly long. A leopard gecko could live 15-20 years. For an animal that small it is a lot of time.
Catherine

Yes, that is a nice long life for a Gecko. I hope she is able to repair her mouth. You are doing a great job Catherine!

She lets me feed her and she is digesting the food so she should be getting stronger.
I am still having a problem keeping her tongue clean. I will have to remove the bedding and put down clean paper towel until she is able to close her mouth. She will be fine with that as long as she has her house. She likes the house. It looks like a tree stump, but it is hollow and is open on one side so she can walk in.
Catherine