Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dog taken on desert hike dies
I know it seems odd to put this in the first aide section, but I think it is a very sad reminder of the dangers of heat stress for dogs.

It is not permitted to take dogs on hikes through the desert at Joshua Tree National Park. It is too dangerous. The desert gets very hot during the day. The dogs owners didn't listen and he died as a result.

https://www.google.com/url?rct=j&sa=t&ur...4ruxD6dKTA

At all times in the hot weather you have to be careful. If we feel hot, what about a dog who is also wearing a fur coat.  It is very easy for a dog to become over heated and dehydrated.

It would take very quick thinking to save a dog at that point. Sadly for this dog help didn't come in time.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

I hate reading stories like this. So sad and unnecessary.
Ignorance is not always bliss.
My guess is these guys loved their dog and probably liked to take he/she everywhere they went. Like many people do.
However, you have to be diligent and use some intelligence.
Your dog simply can't go everywhere you can go.
Of course, according to the article, one of the men was also showing signs of heat exhaustion.
I'm so sorry this story did not have a happy ending.
[Image: m0223.gif] Come join the fun! [Image: m0218.gif]
mypetsonparade.com
I think it was a case of people not understanding the conditions. People do not take temperature extremes seriously. If your body (or a dog's body) goes above or below normal by just a small amount it starts to shut down. I have had heat stroke a couple of times and I didn't see it coming. I never go anywhere without water in the hot weather and I try to carry a salty snack.

It is too bad that they did not take the warning signs seriously. I have been to Joshua Tree National Park and even in the winter it can be warm during the day. I can't imagine going for a walk like that in the summer.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine