Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pit bulls and breed bans
It is so sad. I know someone in New Jersey who has a whole brood of pit bulls, and they are so sweet and gentle. It's not the breed, I think, it is the way they are raised, and the competence (regarding dog understanding generally) of the people who have them.

The only problem I can think of with pit bulls, is they do have a terrier instinct, and they have strong jaws that are inclined to lock when they bite. So if  a bite comes from a Chihuahua, it will let go....but if a bite comes from a pit bull, they find it hard to let go.

They are banned in Britain, but Staffordshire Bull Terriers are very similar. Every single Staffy I have ever known has been a good dog.

Not all German Shepherds or Rottweilers/Dobermans have "guard dog" tendencies either! Some are very gentle and very friendly, and wouldn't have a clue how to be a "guard dog".

Breed prejudice is unfair. The individual dog should be assessed. I hope a 'cull' law doesn't happen.

Misty could be quite fierce in some ways (when the occasion suited) Fortunately she would do anything for me in an instant, and was completely controllable. But she had a fierce streak....nevertheless. And she was a cross-breed (Vizsla? Labrador? with something nice and smaller.) Not a pit bull!

Messages In This Thread
Pit bulls and breed bans - by Catherine - 06-14-2016, 04:57 PM
RE: Pit bulls and breed bans - by Tobi - 06-15-2016, 04:10 AM
RE: Pit bulls and breed bans - by Catherine - 06-15-2016, 02:36 PM