Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vet who abused animals suspended 10 months
There is actual video of the vet in question abusing people's pets when he is treating them. Former staff where he worked acted as whistle blowers. The vet college saw fit to give him a minor suspension for his actions and if he takes a 2 1/2 day training course it will be cut down to 4 months.
That is not much comfort to people whose pets were abused and it is not much of a message to animal abusers.

http://news.google.ca/news/url?sr=1&ct2=...124&at=dt0
(there are a series of videos that are worth watching and they do clarify what went on)

The man clearly shouldn't be a vet. He has no feeling for animals.

I just hope the OSPCA investigation can bring about stronger penalties.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

This is terrible. The short suspension and training course is based on the assumption that man will learn from his mistakes. But of course, he won't if his personality is defective in the first place, and he has a streak of cruelty in him, which is more likely to be the case.

No feeling for animals? This man is a psychopath with so much hate in him! He needs a much more serious sentence! Or psychological assessment, or BOTH!

He could be doing the same again in 4 months. This is basically not good enough. 

But even if the authorities will not do enough about it, "People Power" can do a lot to make sure his name and face are never forgotten! I personally, hope he never works as a vet again -ever!

It is very sad and upsetting.
I am hoping the OSPCA investigation can do something. They have the power to bring about criminal charges. The vet college can make decisions that effect the man's licence and his ability to be a vet. The OSPCA can charge him because of the acts of cruelty that were caught on video. I am sure former staff would be happy to testify.

The people whose pets are seen in the videos can probably sue for damages.  

Even better, with all the publicity no one will take their pets to him ever again. He would have to offer cut rate services to attract anyone.

I agree, he won't change. He will pretend to change and say the right things. He is not stupid. He is just cruel and I doubt he even wants to change. He should be banned from owning animals.
Catherine

I found a small-target petition here: https://www.change.org/p/revoke-veterina...ingh-rekhi
and a larger-target petition here:
https://www.change.org/p/the-college-of-...ry-license

The OCV could, I feel, be pushed to review its decision, if the public outcry is loud enough. Prosecution will also help keep this in the public eye, but rather than fines (which is realistically all he would probably get as first offender) the real target should be to get this man's licence revoked. This man is quite unfit to be a vet.
Thank-you for finding the petitions. We need to keep pushing. I think he should lose his licence. How can he be considered fit to be a vet if that is how he treats animals.

If the OCV ignores this, they will find that they will lose their credibility with the public. Many people are already angry at how much some vets charge and they are angry at the attitude of some vets. People are really upset about Rekhi and how he treated animals. They think about their own pets and they are upset to think that a licensed vet would act this way.

I wonder if Rekhi will have any patients left anyhow. Unless someone never listens to the news or talks to anyone, why would they let this man touch their pet.

This is not the first case of vets abusing animals. I think the OCV needs to act strongly to show that they reject such behavior.
Catherine

Here is a follow-up article from the OCV.

http://news.google.ca/news/url?sr=1&ct2=...t=2&at=dt0
If it was one of my pets that was abused, I would not be happy with the results.

He hasn't changed. He will just be more careful about his abuse in future.
Catherine

It doesn't look like the OCV is going to change its stance. It is presumably putting "closing ranks" above animal protection.
Right! 'People Power' has to come into force! With the influence social media has nowadays, people need to get together in large numbers and literally splatter this man, his name and his face, all over Facebook, and Twitter. The name of the veterinary surgery also....although he may be able to open yet another business somewhere else...but his deeds shall follow him.

A local group needs to get active posting laminated posters everywhere and wherever they can. Newspaper adverts, and adverts in animal magazines, etc. His name and face could also be sent to many many veterinary practices all over the place, and in other states, as an animal abuser.
If enough people got together to do something to hinder this man a lot can be done. There just has to be a will and determination.

I hope he never has another veterinary business, and is kept well away from animals!
Quote:It doesn't look like the OCV is going to change its stance. It is presumably putting "closing ranks" above animal protection.
That is it exactly. They look after their own no matter what. They will protect an animal abuser because he is a vet animal abuser.
If they think what they did is satisfying the pet owners they are very mistaken.

Quote:Right! 'People Power' has to come into force! With the influence social media has nowadays, people need to get together in large numbers and literally splatter this man, his name and his face, all over Facebook, and Twitter. The name of the veterinary surgery also....although he may be able to open yet another business somewhere else...but his deeds shall follow him.
This is the only way to bring him to justice. I think people in the area are pushing for some kind of action. Certainly all of us can do our part by posting and sharing what happened. His name will be known. I wouldn't let him touch an animal of mine. I doubt if anyone in St Catharines would go to him now. We know what we saw in the video, but I am sure there were many more incidents of abuse that we didn't see.

He is sorry....sorry that he got caught.  How could he get through vet college and have an attitude like that. Maybe we need to look at how vets are trained. After all the OCV is not reacting all that strongly to this.
Catherine

Now they are having a candle light vigil for the pets that were abused.

http://news.google.ca/news/url?sr=1&ct2=...t=2&at=dt0

I don't think this s going to go away.
People are determined to stop him and get some  justice for their animals.
Catherine