Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Public ignorant about factory farming
A study was commissioned and 2000 people asked questions. Even though 83% claimed to be knowledgeable about factory farming, few actually knew any thing about the realities of factory farming.

https://www.google.com/url?rct=j&sa=t&ur...s2AUDMG79g

I find this disturbing. There have been a lot of exposes about the conditions in factory farms. How can that many people still know so little. 

This tells me that we have a lot of work to do to keep the subject in the public eye.

Keep talking, keep posting. The more people know the truth, the better it will be for the animals.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Yes people are divorced from the history of their food. When they go to the supermarket, they get little square packages with "chicken" "pork" "beef" in. They look at the prices and try to buy the cheapest offer. They don't know and don't think about it.
I have been like that so I understand. Years ago when I used to buy meat for Misty. Also, although I hadthe internet then, I never encountered articles or news about factory farming.

I can't blame the people. They are also conditioned to eat meat and find it hard to think for themselves. They always ate it, their parents always ate it. They think it is unhealthy not to eat meat. They read articles where such-and-such meat is good for you....chicken livers contain so many vitamins....etc. They look on it as food, and don't know all about the history of that meal, and the horrible conditions.

Then of course, there are those who know but don't wish to think about it and carry on regardless.
I think we are going through a food upheaval. We are finding out where our food comes from. Even people who don't want to know are going to find out the truth.

We can't ignore where our meat comes from. People are even asking about vegetables and where and how they are grown.
Once enough people know the truth about factory farming I think there will have to be change.  I know some won't care. There is not much we can do about those people. Many will care and many will want change.

We just have to keep pushing the information until it reaches people.
Catherine

A lot of information about food sources has been coming to light in the past few years. Prior to that, no-one ever asked questions, and were not informed. For instance, when I was a child, no-one knew about the killing of male chicks (in egg production) We assumed if we bought "barn eggs" the chickens lived happy lives in barns, with lots of hay and nice food, and the sun shining through into their world! Of course, in those days battery hens were known about. I remember my mother refusing to buy ordinary eggs as she told me about the battery farms.

But at the same time, they would eat meat....lamb, pork, beef, turkey etc. And very little was known about how those animals lived or what was done to them. People automatically assumed the slaughter process was utterly pain-free! And cows, pigs, sheep...all lived a natural life iin the fields happily until the were killed humanely without pain.

That is what was the current thought about it in those days.

But it also could be that factory farming has grown so huge in recent years, to supply an increasing demand for cheap meat from a swelling population. That of course, wasn't the case 40 or more years ago. In those days there weren't any 'price wars' between huge supermarket companies. People went to the local butcher, and their meat was sourced fairly locally.
I think you are right, factory farms have grown. Farming methods have become more abusive and more exploitive. 

Now we need to face what we have done and find some way to dismantle the mess we have created.

It is wrong to continue to treat animals that way and the environment can't sustain the damage our farming methods have caused.

This is an important time.   Animals need our help and the planet needs our help. I tell people the truth about farming any time I can. There is going to be a "tipping point", that point at which enough people know and therefore change will happen. 

I think we will see it in our lifetimes.
Catherine