Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Public ignorant about factory farming
A lot of information about food sources has been coming to light in the past few years. Prior to that, no-one ever asked questions, and were not informed. For instance, when I was a child, no-one knew about the killing of male chicks (in egg production) We assumed if we bought "barn eggs" the chickens lived happy lives in barns, with lots of hay and nice food, and the sun shining through into their world! Of course, in those days battery hens were known about. I remember my mother refusing to buy ordinary eggs as she told me about the battery farms.

But at the same time, they would eat meat....lamb, pork, beef, turkey etc. And very little was known about how those animals lived or what was done to them. People automatically assumed the slaughter process was utterly pain-free! And cows, pigs, sheep...all lived a natural life iin the fields happily until the were killed humanely without pain.

That is what was the current thought about it in those days.

But it also could be that factory farming has grown so huge in recent years, to supply an increasing demand for cheap meat from a swelling population. That of course, wasn't the case 40 or more years ago. In those days there weren't any 'price wars' between huge supermarket companies. People went to the local butcher, and their meat was sourced fairly locally.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Public ignorant about factory farming - by Tobi - 11-28-2016, 02:40 AM