Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Trump trumping all over everything
Oh LPC....I see now more clearly about what happened in Belarus! Those poor people there. I don't think "sacrificing the people of Belarus" could ever have been a good idea -no matter for what reason. And deliberately hiding what was happening to them....
I am so very sorry. And your dear wife must have been deeply affected. And her family and friends. I guess there are no words to describe what they must have gone through.

Now....I know what I said, but your report has shown me that my first instincts were not wrong! I must have become swayed by the attitude towards Mr Gorbachov in the West. At first, I did not like him at all! Just on a purely instinctive level. It was only later that I thought....maybe he's okay....
Returning to Mr Trump....
What an audacity, to demand that there should be a "wall" between Mexico and the US....and then to demand that the Mexicans pay for it! 11 billion was the last estimated cost for this wall!
If he wants a wall, the US should pay for it! If that's his idea, then it should be his responsibility and his creation and it should go up on the US side.
But what a nuts idea anyway. Why should American taxpayers be saddled with that? Surely there are other ways to review border control?
Indeed, most esteemed Tobi. My wife, who does not take any interest much in politics, was listening to the news in our car (it's very rare indeed that we have the radio on!) and heard about the wall. She asked, "If Trump wants the wall, that's one thing...but why should the Mexicans pay for it if they don't want it?" I didn't really have any good answer to that question. I fully understand about the illegal immigration issue - but who should pay for it is something else.

Hmm, I'd never make a politician. I can't pretend to have all the answers, LOL!
Returning briefly to Gorbachov again, we both know how good instincts can be sometimes (think dogs, LOL!)
Well, that's good news re: dogs.  A huge black German Shepherd who has a reputation for killing chickens who wander on the road (free-range but not guarded properly by humans!) -and about whom I have been warned, "He's not a very nice dog!".....leaned against my legs today, looked up at me and smiled with a big wag.
Maybe he knows something I don't know....?  Smiley4  Nice doggy. Whatever....
(01-29-2017, 05:21 AM)LPC Wrote: Indeed, most esteemed Tobi. My wife, who does not take any interest much in politics, was listening to the news in our car (it's very rare indeed that wer have the radio on!) and heard about the wall. She asked, "If Trump wants the wall, that's one thing...but why should the Mexicans pay for it if they don't want it?" I didn't really have any good answer to that question. I fully understand about the illegal immigration issue - but who should pay for it is something else.

Hmm, I'd never make a politician. I can't pretend to have all the answers, LOL!

My own attempt-at-a-logical-solution would be that it is the people or country who find such illegal immigration offensive who should pay the bill for policing it. It is their issue. If someone wants to run the border crossing, it is literally their individual freedom to attempt that -if that is what they want. It isn't their country of origin which is responsible for that or who must pay any recompense. However, the individual must also face the legal implications of what they have done and the laws of the country into which they have crossed, if that is what they choose to do.
If the US doesn't want Mexicans running across the border, then it is their responsibility and no-one else's to do something about it, and to pay the costs.
I am not sure where to jump in on this discussion. I will leave Gorbachov/Chernobyl alone for now.

The American economy relies on those illegal immigrants to work on their farms and harvest fruits and vegetables.

The USA/Mexico border is 3,145 kilometers (1,954 mi). It is not just the 11 billion needed to build it. It would need huge sums of money to maintain it. Some areas are so remote that a wall would not be possible. There are very high rugged mountains.

Not everything that crosses into the USA uses the border. The tunnel even had an elevator!

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&...hix50LGkyQ

Build a wall and smugglers of drugs/humans and anything else will increase the number of tunnels.

A wall will keep out a few people. It would be impossible to police the a wall over 3000 Km long. So what about ladders? I am sure there are ladders in Mexico.

This article sums it up very well. Do listen to the John Oliver video. He is quite funny, a little crude sometimes, but he explains things very well.

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&...YlbBM0a3jQ

The wall is just one issue.

All other things aside, the wall has ecological implications. It will cause problems with the migration of animals and building it will destroy fragile ecosystems.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Everything you say is right Catherine. It is a crazy idea in the first place. And yes, if anyone was crazy enough to build it, it would be bound to affect many animals and damage the whole balance.
I have to admit, if I heard a politician come up with something so nutty, and knew it wasn't a joke, I wouldn't be inclined to listen to their ideas any more!

That tunnel was very well constructed.
All of his ideas are equally "well" thought out, some even more so.

He doesn't think before he acts. He is impulsive and self centered. It is a bad combination.
He seems to be very ignorant and I mean that in terms of education. He forms ideas from false facts or no facts at all.
That is annoying in a coworker or neighbour, but it is dangerous in a man that has so much power.

He doesn't believe in climate change or care about environmental issues. Animals will not do well with him as president. He won't be open to protecting endangered species. He won't care how farm animals are treated, as long as he can still eat them.
I think a lot of good that has been done will be undone by him.

If the first week is any indication the next four years won't be pretty.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

He came up somehow today at lunch and it was suggested that perhaps people didn't think he would actually follow through on everything he said, like a lot of politicians don't, as the things he says he wants to do are very extreme. Ironic the one person whom you don't wish to be a man of his word, is.