Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
400 whales stranded on New Zealand beach
I had heard about the second stranding, but I hadn't heard that so many were able to float free latter.

It is still a tragic loss of life. I feel for the volunteers who are working so hard. They know they won't manage to save them all.
It is still good that so many were saved.

Now as to why this happened.....

I think we can agree that there is an increase in the beachings of marine mammals. It is not just whales.
It hardly seems natural. One sick whale ending up on a beach or one whale fleeing a shark might be natural. One whale striking a ship might end up on shore. If 400 whales hit a ship, the ship is going to have a problem.

Over 400 whales on a beach is far from natural. There may be more than one reason. It may be a combination of factors. The obvious ones are pollution and sonar. I suspect that what ever it is, we have a hand in it. We have messed up the oceans pretty bad. Whale stranding may be a sign of how much damage we have done.

Whatever the cause, we need to work to rescue the whales in trouble. Fortunately there are people like the Jonah Project who come to the rescue. Three cheers for the ordinary person who just shows up and helps when needed. They all matter.

After that, we need to look at the oceans and see what we can do to start fixing the mess. The planet is more water than land. If we mess up the water, do we really think the rest of the planet is going to be okay. If the oceans are so bad that the whales are in trouble, we have a big problem.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Messages In This Thread
RE: 400 whales stranded on New Zealand beach - by Catherine - 02-12-2017, 04:12 PM