Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
400 whales stranded on New Zealand beach
Yes, pollution of the seas is the other possible cause of these ever increasing groundings. Sea pollution is such a serious topic and we have discussed it on many previous occasions. It is a problem that will not go away and is almost certainly getting worse. Do you remember the discussion about PCBs? Fish die-offs? The giant plastic islands in the Pacific and the Atlantic oceans? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qT-rOXB6NI

Sea pollution is possibly the greatest threat to our world at present. Not too long ago we also had a thread about the terrible killing of whales in the Faroe Islands. They kill the whales but don't eat them as they are too polluted. That says something, too.

In this particular case, despite sea pollution possibly being the cause of the beachings, I still suspect sonar as the cause. Sonar is also a danger because it makes fishing too easy for these large factory fishing vessels. This in turn causes overfishing and the risk of extinction of some species of fish.

Overall, a disaster....and we humans are to blame! All the other living creatures on this planet will also have to live with the consequences of our greed, our selfishness and our lack of concern. Sometimes, I am ashamed to be human. Yes, I agree, dear Catherine, it is heartening when humans rally round to help whales, like in the event which inspired you to start this thread. There are some good people with good hearts. But we as a species continue to ruin the seas and poison the creatures who live in it.....

Messages In This Thread
RE: 400 whales stranded on New Zealand beach - by LPC - 02-12-2017, 09:29 PM