Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A kind of telepathy....with a Crow
Haha....well not really. He does three beak-clicks, and I repeat the same number, and then say "THREE". Then I do two, and say "TWO"....and so forth. Just to get him used to the English words for those numbers. We do usually mimic each others' numbers. But occasionally he'll do a random FIVE just to keep me on my toes!
We had a bit of a conversation in a tree overhanging the orchard today. I am not sure if he quite gets my "numbers thing" yet, but he might given time.
He already comes to his name.
Wouldn't it be funny if he is trying to teach you something with his clicks. Smiley4

He is clever. He knows his name already. I know crows can learn words. You might come up with a working vocabulary.
Crows can learn to say words can't they? That would be fun. He could learn your name. He will want to learn the word bread fairly soon.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Tobi, it's not about telepathy, but you might enjoy this (if you haven't seen it already):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZ0yrG-Yz88
and
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92hYSsOclLY
Oh thank you LPC! Joe the Crow  -what a charming video! He even speaks with a bit of a Geordie accent like his human lady Smiley4  ....or maybe his accent is North Yorks.... What a clever birdie.

The other video is pretty good too. I wonder if that Crow can actually read? That cat is eyeing the performance with concentration and intent!
(04-06-2017, 04:08 PM)Catherine Wrote: Wouldn't it be funny if he is trying to teach you something with his clicks. Smiley4

I wouldn't be at all surprised. I remain observant.
He could be giving me coded messages for all I know. I don't know what Bletchley Park would make of it.....
Quote:He could be giving me coded messages for all I know. I don't know what Bletchley Park would make of it.....
You might need to do some work to decipher his code. He is trying to tell you something.

I must say Joe the Crow has a delightful accent and his speech is very clear. He speaks better than most parrots that I know.

I wonder what Koori's first spoken work will be? Or will you learn to speak crow?
Catherine

Koori seems to only be there once a day now. He is waiting for me in the morning when I go out to drink my coffee. I give him his usual treat. Then the last week or so, I haven't seen him again all day.
I wonder if he/she has found a mate and is nesting(?) But when I give the treat there is only Koori and no-one else waiting.
This would be nesting season. Maybe Koori has a partner. If she was sitting on a nest he could leave her long enough to visit you.
I wonder if he takes his treat back and shares it with her.

Maybe he will come with babies some day. That would be cute. I am sure you will see more of him when he is not so busy with family ties.
Catherine

He (she??) may have a mate. The last few days when he has been waiting on the electricity pole for his morning treat, I have observed that another Crow flies nearby when he comes down for the treat.
But it is always just Koori who comes down. No-one else. Then he takes it and flies either into the orchard or into the back field with it.
Whether he shares or not.... Smiley4  I don't know. I watch when he is in the field, but can't see him if he goes into the orchard, because of the hedge. When he's in the field I don't see another Crow around.
But he is a lot more absent during the day, checking in sometime in the morning ready for his treat.

I don't know if one day I'll be introduced to any family....
They would be most welcome. I could always find extra treats.
But Koori is a bit of a mystery at the moment.
Koori could be female, but I am thinking male.  It is the time  of year when they would pair off. That would keep any crow busy.
Koori would want to keep visiting you, but would have less time.

I wonder if you will figure out where his nest is. The other crow wouldn't know you well enough to join Koori, but would want to hang around.

This is all a mystery. You will have to watch which way the crow flies and see if you can figure it out.
Catherine