Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scottish Abattoirs a national disgrace.
Scottish abattoirs have been investigated  and the conditions are shocking, disgraceful and abusive.
Animals of all kinds are suffering in many ways. 

http://news.google.ca/news/url?sr=1&ct2=...t=2&at=dt0

The article has a whole list of things that are being done that are wrong. It seems the whole system is inherently cruel and abusive. It seems to be true that humane slaughter is just not possible. The moment we start killing animals we start abusing them first.

The situation in Scotland is very bad and I am shocked, but it is not worse than anywhere else.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

(04-20-2017, 04:21 PM)Catherine Wrote: The situation in Scotland is very bad and I am shocked, but it is not worse than anywhere else.
Well said, Catherine. That is exactly the point. This sort of thing goes on in almost every abattoir throughout the world - although of course some countries and some abattoirs have better - or rather I should say less cruel - standards than others. People who spend the whole day killing animals obviously get emotionally numbed and animal pain and suffering just becomes normal and routine to them.

The cruelty cases mentioned in the article sound, sadly, much like any abattoir anywhere. It is made worse by many abattoirs paying staff productivity bonuses rather than a fixed salary.
A terribly sad state of affairs. One which needs much stricter welfare laws governing it!! And that could be done if there was a strong enough will to do it, and truly humane slaughter was mandatory -everywhere. The problem is, no-one cares enough.

Of course it is possible to do (when killing others has to be done!) but such things as 'productivity bonuses' (as LPC mentioned) certainly don't help the cause. Or the supply/demand situation.

It is all money-based, as usual.

And yes, those slaughterhouse workers get used to the terrible environment in which they work....for money. They get to the point where they are de-sensitised to suffering.
It's all very sad makes you think about where your piece of steak or roast beef comes from.
I didn't realize that they had productivity bonuses. Add that to the terrible working conditions and it is a recipe for disaster.
They are giving them incentive to abuse animals and treat them with indifference to their needs.

If animals were to be killed humanely things would have to be very different. Is it even possible to kill in a mass produced fashion without being cruel.

Quote:It's all very sad makes you think about where your piece of steak or roast beef comes from.
I guess this is why so many of us are trying to eat differently. We can't stop thinking about what the animal went through before it actually died.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine