Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dog slaughterhouse demands money to save dogs
This is so horrible.
A dog slaughterhouse in China demanded 170 pounds per dog from a group of activists. If they failed to produce the money the dogs would be killed. Sadly the money could not be raised. Clearly these dogs were people's pets. They didn't deserve to die like that.

http://news.google.ca/news/url?sr=1&ct2=...t=2&at=dt0

This was a possible consequence of rescuing dogs by buying them. This slaughterhouse knew that the activists would want to rescue the dogs. They put a price on the dogs that the rescuers couldn't pay.
The slaughterhouse is using the situation to profit from people's desire to stop the killing. They were particularly cruel about it.

It is going to take a lot to end the dog meat trade in China.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

This is purely evil. I don't know what to say or what we can do....

Only humans could come up with something like this.
The dog butchers are now playing on the sensitivity and caring of the rescuers. This will come back on them someday, but for now we are faced with a dilemma. Giving them money only encourages them. If we don't pay them the dogs will die.

I don't know what can be done. 

To end the dog meat trade we will have to be more cunning and more determined. I am sure the negative publicity puts the dog killers in a bad light. Someday they will be so unpopular that the money they make will not be worth it. That is when we will end this.
Catherine

(06-01-2017, 02:37 PM)Catherine Wrote: Giving them money only encourages them.....

To end the dog meat trade we will have to be more cunning and more determined. I am sure the negative publicity puts the dog killers in a bad light.
It is a difficult dilemma, but ultimately paying the traders and slaughterers to save dogs only makes the situation worse. It encourages more dog stealing, to make more money, thus creating a vicious circle of suffering and extortion.

A very strong, relentless publicity campaign - highlighting the stealing and inhumane methods of slaughter - is really the only way forward. Ideally, trade sanctions should be applied against China until the trade is stopped, although I accept that in the current political climate this is highly unlikely to happen.

I do understand why people want to buy dogs otherwise destined for a cruel death - but they should understand that by doing so they are not only lining the pockets of the dog stealers, traders and slaughterers, but also indirectly encouraging them to go on doing the same, as they get money one way or the other (either by selling the dog meat, or by taking money from those seeking to save the dogs).

The whole situation is a tragedy. This evil trade must be stopped.
It very well could be that selling the dogs to rescuers is even more lucrative than selling them to traders/diners in China. The people have learned that they (most likely) make more money that way. To them, they know that soon those rescuers who couldn't pay, will find a way to pay.

Yes I agree LPC. We have to keep up as many pressures against them as we can. It seems to me that only when the government and police stamp down on this, within local areas in China, will there be so much pressure against the butchers/traders that they will be curtailed.

However, just because that happens doesn't mean it will be stamped out. There are people all over the world making a lucrative living from illegal Class A drugs.
Certainly such government intervention would make a great difference, but there is always the option for the perpetrators, of 'going underground'...
But at least making the dog meat trade illegal would be a positive step forward. Now....will that happen? That's what we need.
Quote:It is a difficult dilemma, but ultimately paying the traders and slaughterers to save dogs only makes the situation worse. It encourages more dog stealing, to make more money, thus creating a vicious circle of suffering and extortion.
This is the dilemma right now. It was predictable that this would happen as soon as they bought even one dog. The traders, stealers and slaughterers are opportunists. They want to make money and this just opens up a new way for them to make money.

If I was there and had money I would still buy a dog to save it. How could I not do it?
The buying and rescuing has to be a temporary step in a long fight.

Buying out the dog farmers and getting them into a new source of income would help.

Preventing dog stealing would really make a difference. Pet owners need to find ways to protect their pets.

Negative publicity that turns the public against the dog meat trade is going to be the most important thing. When people are so against it that they don't buy dog meat, then the trade will be unprofitable.

Stronger public health laws and food handling laws would really change things. The whole dog meat trade is dirty in a literal sense. I wouldn't drink water in one of those markets. The  slaughtering is inhumane and it is also unhygienic.

This is going to be a long fight.
Catherine