Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Abusive vet charged with animal cruelty
The vet who was video taped abusing animals in his care now faces 16 animal cruelty charges.

http://news.google.ca/news/url?sr=1&ct2=...t=2&at=dt0

http://news.google.ca/news/url?sr=1&ct2=...t=2&at=dt0

I still can't believe he was allowed to go back to practicing medicine. He hasn't changed in any way.

It may be some time before he suffers any consequences for his actions, but it is important that he be charged.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Yes it is important that he is charged and pays the consequences if, (and hopefully when) he is found guilty. It is important, not for the sake of any kind of 'revenge' but because of justice and fairness. Everyone should know that they can't commit acts of cruelty; that it's illegal, and when they are found out, there will be a price to pay.

I am very glad to hear this man is being brought to justice. I was and still am, very surprised that he was allowed to go back to his career while the investigations were being made. Not on the basis that a person is "innocent until proven guilty", but because of the shocking and incriminating video evidence provided.
No one is happy about him going back to work. The Veterinary association failed to do its job.  They could have extended the suspension until the charges were determined. Letting the vet go back to work has been hard for people to take. It feels like their pets are considered unimportant

There is clear video of the  abuse. I can't see any way that he will get off.
Catherine

To be honest, all this shows is the fact that the veterinary association did not treat the evidence seiously enough, as it wanted to protect "one of its own". The same evidence (videos and sworn statements by witnesses) was made available to the vet association as is currently being presented for prosecution.

There have been similar events elsewhere. Remember this?....
http://abc13.com/news/vet-who-shot-cat-w...r/1561084/

That lady deliberately shot a cat with a cross bow, and then bragged about the killing on Facebook. She only got suspended for one year - and can then return to work (albeit under supervision).
I agree, the Veterinary Associations protect their own. The Ontario vet is seen in videos abusing the animals. The Texas vet posted her own pictures and boasted about it.  These are not questionable cases. The vets did what they did. There is no doubt about that.
Their actions seem inappropriate for a practicing veterinarian.
So why are they still working as veterinarians?
The veterinary associations look after their own.

I have to wonder, what would a vet have to do to actually lose their licence?
Catherine

The way the veterinary association allowed that man back to work as a vet after such damning evidence -is unbelievable.

With doctors, proven medical malpractice (i.e. strong video evidence) would result in that doctor being suspended while the trial was pending, and on a 'guilty' verdict -being struck off.

I am shocked as we all are, that this vet was allowed to go back to work as if nothing had happened. How that was allowed is impossible to imagine, but what is worrying is -how many other vets may have negative history and yet are still allowed to work as vets?
All we can do is trust a vet when we need one for our animals. Of course, most are ethical and as good as they can be. But it is frightening indeed that lurking among those, may be others who should not be practicing.
The medical associations sometimes cover up doctor scandals. They protect their own too.

However with direct video evidence of wrong doing the man should have lost his licence. The video wasn't vague or unclear. People could recognize their own pets that were left in that vets care. The video of him swinging a cat by its tale should have been enough on its own to get him kicked out. The cat was unconscious. There is no excuse he can give that explains why he did it.
Even if the animal abuse charges stick, I bet he doesn't lose his licence.

I think the only way to find a good vet is referrals from happy clients who know from their own experience that the vet is good.

The only way to stop bad vets is to refuse to go to them. That means letting the public know of any bad things we know about them. In this case the picketing helps. The public knows who he is.

Shame on the Vet Association that they are so negligent when it comes to protecting animals.
Catherine

(06-06-2017, 04:38 PM)Catherine Wrote: The only way to stop bad vets is to refuse to go to them. That means letting the public know of any bad things we know about them. In this case the picketing helps. The public knows who he is.

Shame on the Vet Association that they are so negligent when it comes to protecting animals.

Indeed, Catherine. Remember Walter Palmer, the dentist who slaughtered Cecil the protected lion and got away with it? http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...world.html

For reviews on Yelp, see
https://www.yelp.com/biz/walter-j-palmer...inneapolis
and
https://www.yelp.com/biz/river-bluff-dental-bloomington

People were posting one star reviews on Yelp for his dental practice faster than the Yelp staff could remove them! The current pages are still having adverse reviews removed, all this time later.

Sorry if that is a little off topic from the case of this thread, but it shows that people can and do give their opinions of medical people involved with animal abuse.
The Yelp reviews are pretty bad. I am sure they are having an impact on his practice. So even if nothing was done to Palmer we can still do something about it.

Maybe that is what we will have to do about the veterinarian. If the Veterinary Association refuses to do anything, we can still have an impact on his practice. Certainly the people whose pets were abused can post bad reviews. They have a right. Their pets were not given good treatment.

I still hope the animal cruelty charges stick. That will be the real vindication.
Catherine